Light pulls dressed up in Red Cedar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Band Saw Box

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I forgot I had these kits...as they say out of sight out of mind. I had Evelyn pair them up with a box of blanks I had and she picked out the Red Cedar. I wasn't going to work on them today but I got a vision on how they should look so I went right to work...they are not an perfect match but I think they are very close. I finished them with 4 coats of Pens Plus. All C & C are welcome. Thanks for looking

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 134
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks so much for all the great comment's. Charlie red cedar does smell great. Warren so far I really like Pens Plus...I was having problems getting a good finish with the WTF I had and I not sure why. Mal the kits came from Craft Supply USA...I have then for well over a year.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Nice job on those pulls, Dan.
Red cedar is one of my favorite woods - nice aroma, turns & finishes easily and just looks so darn good!

dogcatcher

Nice work. You can save some money by making a mandrel with a 1/4" steel rod 4" long. Drill and tap the end of the steel rod for a 8-32 hex socket head machine screw. Drill the blank half way with a letter F bit, the rest of the way through with a 5/32 bit.

The only pic I have. The socket head screw works with the live center to keep it from "wobbling". This has not been sanded or polished. You can buy the chain parts from US Ball and Chain Ball Chain Manufacturing | Beaded Chain | Key Chains | Key Rings | Dog Tags You do not need to buy the crimper, I use a pair of pliers. You need chain, connectors and the open balls on this page. Ball Chain Attachments | Connectors | Couplings | Pendants | End Ring Connectors | Sleeves

10dfugx.jpg

Charlie_W

Nice work. You can save some money by making a mandrel with a 1/4" steel rod 4" long. Drill and tap the end of the steel rod for a 8-32 hex socket head machine screw. Drill the blank half way with a letter F bit, the rest of the way through with a 5/32 bit.

The only pic I have. The socket head screw works with the live center to keep it from "wobbling". This has not been sanded or polished. You can buy the chain parts from US Ball and Chain Ball Chain Manufacturing | Beaded Chain | Key Chains | Key Rings | Dog Tags You do not need to buy the crimper, I use a pair of pliers. You need chain, connectors and the open balls on this page. Ball Chain Attachments | Connectors | Couplings | Pendants | End Ring Connectors | Sleeves

10dfugx.jpg

Neat idea! Your light pull looks like a bottle of chocolate milk to me!

patharris

Local Chapter Leader
Light Pull money Saver Question

First, my compliments to Dan on his Light pulls, they look real good.
Next, this was good infromation from dogcatcher. Is the savings a result of not having to use a brass tube and glue by using a 1/4 inch dia. x 4" mandrell? I also not sure about abour drill & tapping the end or the rod. Could a pin mandrel by use to hold the turning stock instead of the tapped rod?
Pat

dogcatcher

First, my compliments to Dan on his Light pulls, they look real good.
Next, this was good infromation from dogcatcher. Is the savings a result of not having to use a brass tube and glue by using a 1/4 inch dia. x 4" mandrell? I also not sure about abour drill & tapping the end or the rod. Could a pin mandrel by use to hold the turning stock instead of the tapped rod?
Pat

The cheapest you can buy PSI kits are about $2 if you buy enough of them. This system only uses the chain, you can buy the chain already sized at HUT Products, 5 for 75 cents, that is 15 cents each. If you do not want to make a mandrel, they also sell the mandrel kit, it costs about $7, that is a one time expense.

One pack of chains will make 5 pulls, the mandrel kit and the chains will cost $7.75, without shipping your cost for the first 5 pull kits will be $1.55 each. After that each kit will cost you 15 cents, because all you have to buy is the chains. When I buy the chain form HUT, I buy 25 packs at a time, or 125 chains ready to install.

I give these away to customers, at 15 cents each I can give away a 100 and not break the bank. In addition to those that are gifts, I sell them for $1.50 each, cheaper than the cost of the PSI kits. Are they as neat and pretty,? Not really, but the function the same way.

Top Bottom