Light Bulb & money Bottle Stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bruce119

bruce119

What happens when you have an idea a light bulb literally went off in my head. I basically used the bulb as a mold broke off the glass like a hard boiled egg. The base is another bulb hollowed out filled with resin drilled and taped then glued to the bulb then turned and polished. Then wile I was showing this I figure I show a couple money stoppers also.

All comments, opinions & questions welcome.

lightbulb01.jpg lightbulb02.jpg

lightbulb03.jpg lightbulb04.jpg

MS1.jpg MS2.jpg

Thanks for looking
Bruce

mickr

Does the light "stay on" in the refrigerator, so you can find the red wine when the power is out?

Jim Smith

Bruce,

Just when I think you're done making the rest of us feel inadequate, you have to go a do something like this. Great idea; very original and creative. I think I'd like to try this but I want to make sure I've got the steps straight.

1. You carefully removed the bulb from the base
2. You removed the filament[FONT=&quot][/FONT] from the base and "suspended" it into the bulb
3. You filled the glass bulb (with the filament in the bulb) with the PR
4. You placed the bulb into a vacuum or pressure tank to remove the bubbles
5. When the PR was hardened, you removed the glass like a hard boiled egg shell
6. You cut off and hollowed out a base from another light bulb, filled it with resin, drilled and tapped it so it would fit on the stopper
7. You glued the light bulb onto the new base

Did I mess up or miss any of the steps?

Jim Smith

bruce119

I am totally inspired and impressed Bruce!!!!!

Thank you Jeff and Jim I am going to take some photos showing some of my technique next time.

Speaking of next time I have some glow in the dark powder (thank you NewLondon88) I am going to try and coat the filament. Heck maybe even experiment with the fill resin put a little glitter in it or even just a touch of glow powder. When you turn off the lights it should look like a light bulb. That way you can fine your wine in the dark refrigerator. :drink::biggrin:

Thanks
Bruce

bruce119

Here is a couple photos I will post a more detailed process on how I did it I am still working out bugs. I just did this tonight. I cut the filament out of the bulb I will use the bulb as the mold. If I wasn't going to use the glow powder I would not have cut the filament out. I will get into more detail latter if there is enough interest and maybe even do a tutorial. Jut be careful protect your self you working with glass gloves, eye, protection, mask, apron. Just be careful in case one explodes.

p1010029.jpg

glow powder thanks to NewLondon88
p1010033.jpg

p1010035.jpg

p1010042.jpg

p1010043.jpg

p1010045.jpg

Thanks
Bruce

ldb2000

Thank you Jeff and Jim I am going to take some photos showing some of my technique next time.

Speaking of next time I have some glow in the dark powder (thank you NewLondon88) I am going to try and coat the filament. Heck maybe even experiment with the fill resin put a little glitter in it or even just a touch of glow powder. When you turn off the lights it should look like a light bulb. That way you can fine your wine in the dark refrigerator. :drink::biggrin:

Thanks
Bruce

Bruce , the refrigerator wouldn't be dark if you stop stealing the light blubs :biggrin:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
LOL .. looks pretty cool!

As for the powder, they also have a brighter powder called v-10. They have powders
with different grain sizes for finer work, but the smaller the grain the less time it stays
bright.

gothycdesigns

Sorry for late reply posting on this, I was searching for glow in the dark casting ideas.

Gotta say the lightbulb is a sweet concept. I don't think I'll try it, but major props to you for giving it a go. But had to post on this. Great Job.

dontheturner

Bruce! You could make a fortune here in Thailand, with this re-cycling drive - How about the used printer cartridges, which NO ONE HERE, ever re-uses? dontheturner

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow Bruce!!! That's the coolest idea I've seen for ages. :biggrin:

Maybe you can cast it while it's still on,:tongue: that way you could capture the proper glow......could be tricky though:redface:

dustmaker

I realize that this thread has been resurrected from last June, but I have to chime in too, and say, Wow! That is very innovative. I never ceased to be amazed at what folks in this group come up with!

Top Bottom