lidded boxes with screw on lids

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I am actually practicing and trying to learn how to hand chase threads. It is not as difficult as I once thought, but it does take practice. I have a video with some excellent instructions. Only one problem. The woods that really take excellent threads without chipping out are the dense woods with a specific gravity greater than 1, like Aftican Blackwood. And, these woods tend to be the more expensive woods. Oh well, it is fun to learn something new.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by jjenk02
<br />I think its a neat idea. I might give it a try.

dubdrvrkev

I am thinking of starting to learn thread chasing too. I have seen where people will use "good threading wood" to just make the threads and glue them into the box. That way if you botch the threads you only lose a little good wood and you also don't ruin the box if you would have botched them there.

I'm not sure I'll try the ones on the link. Not that I'm a purist, I just think they look a little store bought.

Skye

Too bad they're fire engine red.

It would be better to cut the threaded sections of that device out and glue them to the mating edges of the boxes I bet.

its_virgil

I agree. The color is bad, but othere colors are available, even clear. And yes, a better application or interface is probably not difficult and more appealing.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Skye
<br />Too bad they're fire engine red.

It would be better to cut the threaded sections of that device out and glue them to the mating edges of the boxes I bet.

Chuck Key

What are you all using for a chaser? I pickrd up a chaser at the Virginia Woodturning Symposium last November. Not much experience with it yet though. This chaser is double ended for making male threads with one end and female threads with the other. Pictures of the thread chaser were posted in this Thread.

Chuckie

Ron Mc

I really like this idea! I would love to make myself an "on the road" cup!
Imagine driving down the road sipping coffee out of a "Morning After" cup![;)]

its_virgil

Chuckie,
I'm using a set of Hamlet chasers. Two tools. I've seen the one in the picture. The guy in the video I'm watching uses a thrid tool called an arm rest for doing the female threads. Here is a picture of my best one yet. I've only practiced the male threads.

200711225832_thread%20small.jpg

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by Chuck Key
<br />What are you all using for a chaser? I pickrd up a chaser at the Virginia Woodturning Symposium last November. Not much experience with it yet though. This chaser is double ended for making male threads with one end and female threads with the other. Pictures of the thread chaser were posted in this Thread.

Chuckie

Snazzypens

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />I really like this idea! I would love to make myself an "on the road" cup!
Imagine driving down the road sipping coffee out of a "Morning After" cup![;)]

Here you go Ron, my mate you can get the kit. Check out this link. It shows you the cup he made and a link on where to get your kits from to make your morning after cup

http://www.turnwood.net/Photopost/showphoto.php/photo/3887/cat/recent/limit/recent

Chuck Key

Looking good Don. The demonstrator at the symposium also used a secondary type rest for the female threads. I am just using a piece of scrap steel I found laying around that had a suitable hook on the end to catch the tool. He also showed a practice block that he uses that is about 2 3/4 inches thick with 3 or 4 one inch +/- steps turned on it. The block is mounted in the chuck and threads are turned on each step and then removed. The block is used each time the tool is used to get the rythum for cutting the threads before going to the production piece.

Chuckie

PenWorks

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Chuckie,
I'm using a set of Hamlet chasers. Two tools. I've seen the one in the picture. The guy in the video I'm watching uses a thrid tool called an arm rest for doing the female threads. Here is a picture of my best one yet. I've only practiced the male threads.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

You finally beat me to the punch! Mine are still wraped up, kinda like your mill lathe was for a year [:D] Nice looking threads. The lady who did the demo said, after about cutting 100 threads, you will get the hang of it [:0]

[

its_virgil

It does take practice...lots of practice. I've not quite done 100 yet...maybe 40 or so. Only one problem...the wood that takes to threads really well is the expensive stuff. Hate to see in all on the floor.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by PenWorks

You finally beat me to the punch! Mine are still wraped up, kinda like your mill lathe was for a year [:D] Nice looking threads. The lady who did the demo said, after about cutting 100 threads, you will get the hang of it [:0]

its_virgil

Thanks. And there definitely is a rhythm and allowing the tool to do the cutting and not the turner. I want to force the tool to cut, but if the thread is started correctly, the tool will do the rest. Learning new skills is one of the fun parts of turning.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Chuck Key
<br />Looking good Don. The demonstrator at the symposium also used a secondary type rest for the female threads. I am just using a piece of scrap steel I found laying around that had a suitable hook on the end to catch the tool. He also showed a practice block that he uses that is about 2 3/4 inches thick with 3 or 4 one inch +/- steps turned on it. The block is mounted in the chuck and threads are turned on each step and then removed. The block is used each time the tool is used to get the rythum for cutting the threads before going to the production piece.

Chuckie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom