Lichtenberg Fractal Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charlie_W

Charlie_W

This is a small bowl i turned last year from a piece of plain jane sycamore. It was just lacking in character and needing some embellishment.

My recent delving in to Lichtenberg Fractal Figuring/burning has given me a way to really enhance some of my turnings.

I air brushed the inside with black Chestnut Stain followed by a coat of satin lacquer spray. The outside was also sprayed with the satin lacquer and then buffed.

Attachments

• IMG_3130.jpg
    IMG_3130.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 583
  • IMG_3040.jpg
    IMG_3040.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_3038.jpg
    IMG_3038.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_3044.jpg
    IMG_3044.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 616
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
That is nice and different! Looks great!

That shape reminds me so much of Japanese bowls. (Spent enough years there.)

I learned something new today! THANKS for posting it!

Last edited:

SDB777

Are you using a neon transformer or the microwave(rip it out and go for it) transformer?

Actually saw a video of this being done on YouTube, and while it looked really cool....electricity and me should stay separated by a few feet(I don't have the best of luck when 'playing' with it).

I like what you did there with the inside of the bowl to hide the burn 'lines' too...does the 'fill/paint' also keep the larger burn holes from showing through?

Scott (got the stuff, afraid to use it) B

Charlie_W

Are you using a neon transformer or the microwave(rip it out and go for it) transformer?

Actually saw a video of this being done on YouTube, and while it looked really cool....electricity and me should stay separated by a few feet(I don't have the best of luck when 'playing' with it).

I like what you did there with the inside of the bowl to hide the burn 'lines' too...does the 'fill/paint' also keep the larger burn holes from showing through?

Scott, and Carl,.....not the microwave transformer.

I am hesitant to give too much info since one would be dealing with high voltage. I will say one needs to research the process, have some electrical knowledge and a bucket full of common sense.

The inside of this one was also hum drum and needed some class. If the main fractal lines are not allowed to burn too deep, you don't get any scorch through.

A little thicker wall thickness will help also.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
... I love your pen/holder; but this bowl is absolutely incredible! This is great stuff!!! (Can you tell I like this???) :tongue:

SDB777

Scott, and Carl,.....not the microwave transformer.

I am hesitant to give too much info since one would be dealing with high voltage. I will say one needs to research the process, have some electrical knowledge and a bucket full of common sense.

The inside of this one was also hum drum and needed some class. If the main fractal lines are not allowed to burn too deep, you don't get any scorch through.

A little thicker wall thickness will help also.

I ordered the neon transformer from evilBay($65 shipped), that was after watching hours of Ytube stuff. I know the secret lies within that amount of baking soda you put in the water and how much spritzing with a spray bottle you do during the actual 'burning'.

Biggest 'secret' I was told about in all the research I did, was to never touch both lead handles at the same time, even when the unit gets disconnected from a power source!

Watched a fractural sand sculpture being made with two 25K volt transformers paralleled together...talk about some scary stuff!

Scott (I'm scared of my pyrography wood burner) B

Love the bowl and was thinking would like to try the procedure, until you started talking about high voltage electricity... As Scott said, I keep my distance from live electricity... I've already had my share of shock (pun intended)... when in the navy I got across some high voltage in a reperforator.... when I got up off the floor, about 6 feet away, I had blown all the lights in the building, and somebody had hit me in the elbows with a baseball bat.

Charlie_W

Love the bowl and was thinking would like to try the procedure, until you started talking about high voltage electricity... As Scott said, I keep my distance from live electricity... I've already had my share of shock (pun intended)... when in the navy I got across some high voltage in a reperforator.... when I got up off the floor, about 6 feet away, I had blown all the lights in the building, and somebody had hit me in the elbows with a baseball bat.

Chuck, We sure don't want a repeat performance of that. Safety first!
Sounds like you were lucky it didn't totally zap you out.

Top Bottom