Latest Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

I have made several bowls of this same pattern except for the horizontal rings . This time I incorporated the rings into the same pattern . Cut and glued up the board late yesterday and cut it into rings and then sanded it and finished it off this morning .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

Bill, that is beautiful. Cut and glued YESTERDAY - finished TODAY! My you're quick.

Nice work.

We have had a house full of relatives here for the long weekend so I have tried to squeeze in a little shop time as well as enjoying their visit . .
It was around 4.00PM yesterday when I started cutting pieces on the table saw . Glued them up and put the clamped up pieces out in the sun for a fast cure . Then the band sawing and planing stage and another glue up before dinner. After dinner I spent about 45 minutes in the shop cutting rings and gluing them up into a bowl then let it cure overnight and ready for sanding and finishing this morning before heading to the coffee shop . .

This morning I made a little video showing the accuracy of my glue up right after taking the bowl out of the ring press and putting it on the lathe ready to sand. That video is uploading into you tube as I am typing this message

Last edited:

rblakemore

Great job - really nice. I will watch your video tonight!!!
But, you do not seem very hospitable, running out to the shop any chance that you get!! Or, did you take the guests out there and let them help?!?!

W.Y.

Great job - really nice. I will watch your video tonight!!!
But, you do not seem very hospitable, running out to the shop any chance that you get!! Or, did you take the guests out there and let them help?!?!
They were not the type that are interested in woodworking and don't know a hammer from a saw .:biggrin:
But there were a lot of festivities going on down town for the four day long weekend blossom festival here so when they went to check out some of those I headed for the shop .:)

SDB777

What is the thickness of these 'glue-up'?
Three layers...what kind of 'feel' does the cutters have when going between layers? Just wondering...

Very nice!

Scott (looks like a lot going on) B

W.Y.

What is the thickness of these 'glue-up'?
Three layers...what kind of 'feel' does the cutters have when going between layers? Just wondering...

Very nice!

Scott (looks like a lot going on) B

I have glued up boards to cut rings on the RM anywhere from 3/8 to 7/8" thick . Any combination of layers within that range is left only to the imagination and how much time a person wants to put into complex glue ups.

The "feel" of cutting through layers is pretty much the same as cutting one kind of solid wood. Of course , like any other tool the quality of cut is determined by how well the cutters are kept properly sharpened .

I think the shavings shown here after cutting a complete bowl was walnut and maple .

Top Bottom