Last year's Christmas tree

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Monty

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Unless you happen to have a Christmas tree from last year laying around, it's too late to make these for this year.
I went around the neighborhood after Christmas last year and collected several trees, trimmed off the branches and laced the trunk in the rafters of my garage to dry over summer.
These have been a big hit again this year.

IMG_0664[1].jpg IMG_0665[1].jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That is a great idea!

Any problems with pine sap, or did that solve itself during drying? These look like end grain turnings, if so, any problems with splitting on the pith?

Thanks for sharing.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
That is a great idea!

Any problems with pine sap, or did that solve itself during drying? These look like end grain turnings, if so, any problems with splitting on the pith?

Thanks for sharing.
Not as much of a problem with the sap as when I first trim off the branches. What little sap I get hit with is while turning off the bark.

These are not end grain turnings. I drill a hole in one end for the scoop or opener, place the hole over the drive center and the dead center in the center of the other end and turn between centers. Because pine usually dose not turn off smooth, I turn close to the final size and shape and finish with an 80 grit gouge and then progressively sand to 400. I finish with CA and buff with tripoli and white diamond. I finish off the back end with a decorative upholstery tack to cover the hole made by the dead center. All the little eyes on the handles are from the branches.

People really seem to like the idea of it being last years Christmas tree.

Last edited:

MDWine

Now, if you had labeled each trunk with the house that it came from, it would be quite a show to give it to each respective house!

"Here's a scoop made from YOUR Christmas tree from last year!"

That would be impressive!

chicken

Nice work. I have been saving every xmas tree trunk from our trees since our oldest son was born in 2011. Hopefully I will get some time soon to make some Christmas tree ornaments from them. I picked up a few of the ornament parts from craft supplies for them. Should make some nice gifts for the wife and grandmas.

magpens

Very nice family idea and use of the trunks ... the memories invoked in 30 years will be priceless !!

Nice work. I have been saving every xmas tree trunk from our trees since our oldest son was born in 2011. Hopefully I will get some time soon to make some Christmas tree ornaments from them. I picked up a few of the ornament parts from craft supplies for them. Should make some nice gifts for the wife and grandmas.

Top Bottom