largest turning to date

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from paintspill

paintspill

I finished this up this afternoon. cant imagine a better way to spend a day off work. it is 11" across, pretty much maxes out my lathe (over the bed at least)
scrap maple destined for my brothers fireplace.

Attachments

• 100_5933.jpg
    100_5933.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 215
  • 100_5934.jpg
    100_5934.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 208
  • 100_5936.jpg
    100_5936.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 221
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Codger

Marc...beautiful turning!!! I'm like you, I've gradually worked up to larger and larger turnings and my first 11" turning was quite an experience! Fun, fun, fun! Your turning is gorgeous and I'm sure you're quite pleased with it as you should be! Now the big question is, do we go to a larger lathe or??? I have a Jet 1221VS that is just a year old, but can't find a larger VS lathe without jumping into the $3K bracket which I don't want to go to at this time... Sorry, I jumped off subject... Love your newest bowl and think you turned a 'keeper' and one that you should be VERY proud of! Thanks for sharing and safe turning to you always!

paintspill

Marc...beautiful turning!!! I'm like you, I've gradually worked up to larger and larger turnings and my first 11" turning was quite an experience! Fun, fun, fun! Your turning is gorgeous and I'm sure you're quite pleased with it as you should be! Now the big question is, do we go to a larger lathe or??? I have a Jet 1221VS that is just a year old, but can't find a larger VS lathe without jumping into the $3K bracket which I don't want to go to at this time... Sorry, I jumped off subject... Love your newest bowl and think you turned a 'keeper' and one that you should be VERY proud of! Thanks for sharing and safe turning to you always!

Thanks you so much. This lathe does have the ability to do outboard turning should I decide to go bigger. As far as it being a keeper it is destined to be a Christmas present.

endacoz

I'd like to hear how you did such a nice job on the bottom! My first 11 inch bowl turned out great, but i havn't figured out to how to finish the bottom.

It looks like your gripped it from the inside, i had done the outside.

lwalper

Very Nice! I've got a couple pieces of cherry from a tree in the yard. I roughed them out when green and have been drying for the last year. Need to get to 'em. You've inspired me! Now, if the weather will cooperate :frown:

paintspill

I'd like to hear how you did such a nice job on the bottom! My first 11 inch bowl turned out great, but i havn't figured out to how to finish the bottom.

It looks like your gripped it from the inside, i had done the outside.

the blank was screwed to a face plate and the bottom is shaped, sanded and finished in that orientation. then turned around and the inside turned and finished. (please note I am no pro at this, just stuff I picked up watching and reading)

Top Bottom