Kit Telecaster

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Sorry to hear you are having problems with the company. I was wondering if you were going to use the leftover pieces to build another guitar from scratch.

Jamie
Thanks Jamie , I don't think I'll be using these pieces . If and , when I build another one , I'll upgrade them too .

JohnU

Ive always wanted to build one too Chuck. Im hoping to give it a try when my "to do" list is smaller. Ive always wanted to make the front out of a pair of match book buckeye burl slabs. Looking forward to seeing your results. Congrats! John

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Ive always wanted to build one too Chuck. Im hoping to give it a try when my "to do" list is smaller. Ive always wanted to make the front out of a pair of match book buckeye burl slabs. Looking forward to seeing your results. Congrats! John
Thanks John , you'd have to be pretty ambitious and patient to take that on but , that would be a VERY nice looking guitar . I'd like to see it done . DO keep an eye on this thread for more pics . I think I have everything I'm going to use and , will resume work on it tomorrow .

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Got the Tuners mounted , drilled and reamed the string-thru holes for the ferrals and strings , wiped the Fretboard down with Lemon Oil and sprayed the body with Transluscent Blue dye yesterday . Still tacky , so I'll wait another day or two before clearcoat . Learning alot as I go for the next one . This project IS fun .

Still NO response from guitarfetish.com for returning the wrong pick-up they sent me . I've sent four emails so far . I even sent the pick-up back to them . If I don't hear from them , it might be money well spent . It will be the last time I order anything from that place .

Attachments

• IMG_0676.jpg
    IMG_0676.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0677.jpg
    IMG_0677.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0678.jpg
    IMG_0678.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0679.jpg
    IMG_0679.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 132

chriselle

Looking good Chuck. Sorry to hear about your trouble with Guitarfetish especially since I'm the one who mentioned them:redface:. I know they have a bad habit of sending out wrong product but I have heard they do a good job of making it right.....I hope that hasn't changed. I have bought loads of their pups, bridges, tuners, strap locks etc..over the years and never had a problem. At their prices I have bought a large majority of their pups just to try out. Some are good others were used as parts for winding my own (an abandoned hobby:biggrin:) and some were just tossed in the trash. There is a reason VanZant, lollar, Holmes, Barden, Bareknuckles.....etc....pups cost what they do. I hope you things straighted out.

Chris

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Chris ! I DO NOT hold you responsible for what GF does or does not do . You've been very helpful and , I appreciate it :biggrin:. To their credit , I must say their prices were good and , they got the parts out quickly on both orders . Only one item was wrong . I just have not received a reply to any emails yet . But , I'm moving forward .

chriselle

Ok Chuck, here are few of my builds that are in my current quiver of go-to guitars.

The first is an ash tele body with a fender neck I stole off a basswood body fender Japan tele. Finish is urethane as I can't get nitro in Japan. It has had several changes of hardware and pickup combinations and I think I have settled on a "Nashville" layout using an original (yes ORIGINAL) '62 bridge pup and two hand wound reverse stagger pups made by the builder that does the custom shop Momose pickups (very nice). It's like a strat with snarl while still maintaining some great in-between sounds. The pickguard was a quick route to test out the pups and I never got around to cutting out another....meh, does the job.

The second is the mahogany strat I told you about. Now, this one has some mojo.....the neck is a delicious 57 RI Fender Japan that I took off a nice ....umm.....57 Reissue. The body is four part mahogany. Finish is minwax poly. Trem is standard Fender but with a steel trem block. Pups are Kinman AVN blues noiseless which I really like....which is good because they certainly are not cheap. I call this my David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) model as it just drips with meaty sweet tone and screams like a mofo when you dig in. BTW, the holes in the pick guard are for a GK2 guitar synth pup.

Anyway, just wanted to share.

Chris

Attachments

• DSC_0112.jpg
    DSC_0112.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC_0125.jpg
    DSC_0125.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 160
  • DSC_0110.jpg
    DSC_0110.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC_0127.jpg
    DSC_0127.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 160
  • DSC_0130.jpg
    DSC_0130.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 145

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Yeh , now see.....THAT'S what I had in mind when I started this . Beautiful guitars there Chris . Very nice work and , sounds like you got the good parts for it. That tone is exactly what I wanted . I read that hand wound pups are best . I'll just have to see if the pups I got will cut it . Thanks a bunch for showing these ! Hey , everythings backwards on these ! :biggrin:

GoodTurns

Chris....hate to break it to you, but it appears you had the directions backwards when building those and they are now defective and can only be played "wrong-handed" :biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
If you need a pickup this guy has some good lightly used ones http://www.chrisguitars.com/parts.html
Thanks Hans , I took a quick look and found it interesting . I'll keep it on file for the future build .
Here's a sound file....the strat trem getting abused...lol. Amp is an 18 watt before dialing out some unwanted low end fizz. Not me singing! I'm much better..:wink:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9142763
Thanks Chris . That's what I'm talkin about . But , that's a little faster than I'll ever play . :redface:

Bree

Geeze... I go away for a couple of days and the guy has the tuners mounted, the body dyed, and is practically ready to start assembly!!
:eek::eek::eek:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Bree , I missed you're comments while you were gone :biggrin:......

Take a look at this . Spent all afternoon wet sanding and polishing :beat-up: All set for soldering and assembly . Then comes the fun part ......getting the strings and pups and neck adjusted :redface:

Attachments

• IMG_0681.JPG
    IMG_0681.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 161

chriselle

Looking Good Chuck!! What color is the pickguard? Once you get all the hardware on there it's going to look great. Which pups did you settle on?...or at least:redface:....which ones did you order for an upgrade? While you are waiting for the neck pup you could wire it up as an Esquire which actually have a great tone to them. Good enough for Beck in the old days and Keith Urban in recent times....:wink:

chriselle

Chris....hate to break it to you, but it appears you had the directions backwards when building those and they are now defective and can only be played "wrong-handed" :biggrin:

No, I blame it on the guy who sent me the "up-side-down" templates....Boy I'll never do business with that guy again...:biggrin: Had to learn how to play lefty, too.....
I AM talented, ya know!!:biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
So what have we got going here... the patented Chuck Hutchings CA finish on the guitar??
:eek::eek::eek:
Uhhhh , not exactly....:redface: I DID wet sand 600-MM12000 Novus II , Maguires Scratch-X and Swirl remover . This Clearcoat is harder than CA and , there are STILL small scratches in it . But , another lesson . :rolleyes:

Looking Good Chuck!! What color is the pickguard? Once you get all the hardware on there it's going to look great. Which pups did you settle on?...or at least:redface:....which ones did you order for an upgrade? While you are waiting for the neck pup you could wire it up as an Esquire which actually have a great tone to them. Good enough for Beck in the old days and Keith Urban in recent times....:wink:
Upgraded both pups with Alnico . The neck is chrome capped . I'm almost ready to start wiring , but not sure where the + wires go on this board .:confused: The pick guard is white .

NO......

Urushiiiiiiiiiiii......:biggrin:
In my DREAMS !!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Give me a shout if you need a hand wiring it up. There are a ton of pics and wiring diagrams on the net though. A quick search will bring up hundreds.
Thanks Chris , I've already looked at 50 of them but , none have the circuit board like this one has . May put up some pics tomorrow for you to look at . So you'll know what I'm talking about . One thing for sure , I'd hate to get this thing wired up the wrong way.:eek:

chriselle

Thanks Chris , I've already looked at 50 of them but , none have the circuit board like this one has . May put up some pics tomorrow for you to look at . So you'll know what I'm talking about . One thing for sure , I'd hate to get this thing wired up the wrong way.:eek:

I'm sure you are using the white plastic 3 way switch, right? That will get you started but since you are going through all the trouble to build a quality tele I would think about upgrading to some CTS pots and a CRL switch. I guarantee that switch you have now will fail sooner or later....probably the former. I know....your original kit is getting quite a few upgrades...

Also, wiring it up wrong won't have any adverse effects other than no sound, sound where there shouldn't be, or a buzz/hum.

rdunn12

Hey chuck thought i would give you an update I got the neck made today,man that is a lot of work.Neck is made from Alder and fret board is Red Heart.Sorry about the crappy photos. :(

neck1.jpg

neck2.jpg

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Ronald , that is looking good Man ! I'm sure it was alot of work . That's why I chose the kit on this one . :wink: Beautiful woods . Thanks for sharing the photos . Hope to see more . :biggrin:

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Update ! I finally got an email from Guitarfetish . Apologized for the delay and , refunded the money for the wrong part I sent back . SO , I have ordered the switch & pots that Chris recommended from , bestguitarparts.com . Got copper sheild too . They have the best prices I have found so far . Thanks Chris !

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Another Update Got my new pots all wired up except for the ground wires and jack . I didn't order enough copper shielding for the cavities . Should have that and knobs tomorrow or Saturday . :biggrin:

Forgot to say Thanks again to Chris ! I'm really gonna like these pots and switch .

Attachments

• IMG_0684.jpg
    IMG_0684.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0685.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

chriselle

Hey Chuck, I assume you tried fitting that control assembly into the control cavity? It looks a little tight on the switch side with that wire down low. Full size pots, too....might be tight.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Hey Chuck, I assume you tried fitting that control assembly into the control cavity? It looks a little tight on the switch side with that wire down low. Full size pots, too....might be tight.
Yep , it fits right now . I had to go look ! :redface: I'll have to pay attention to that when I get the rest of the wires hooked up . Thanks for asking about that . You sure have been a big help and , I appreciate it . :biggrin: Stay tuned , I'll have more pics in a few days . :rolleyes:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Coming along ..... it makes noise :rolleyes: Have a switch knob and Boomer strings on the way from StewMac . I'll have to shim the neck because it is not level . I may have to take it to the repair guy for that and intonation setting . It has its flaws in the finish and some scratches on the chrome , but that gives it a little "Road Warn" look :biggrin: It's been fun for a 1st build . I'm looking forward to the Strat . That one should be a better result . My step-son plays pretty well and , he is going to help us move to Florida . I wanted to give him a good guitar to play .

Anyway , thanks for looking at all this and , thanks for the comments ! Thanks again to Chris for the advise and encouragement !

Attachments

• IMG_0686.JPG
    IMG_0686.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0687.JPG
    IMG_0687.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0688.jpg
    IMG_0688.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 166

chriselle

Hey Chuck,

It looks pretty darned good for a first build. There are a couple of serious concerns that are probably my fault for not explaining more thoroughly. On my recomendation of running the strings through the body I failed to realize that your bridge was a top loader. Now as it is you can terminate the strings at the bridge or run them through your "custom" ferrules at the rear ala Schecter guitars.....interesting!!.. The shimming of the neck is more of a concern though...I wish I could see it.

On your next build I would suggest you go with a better kit from Warmoth or USA Custom Guitars....granted they are more expensive but they are a night and day difference in quality. You can literally build a custom shop level guitar for under a grand. I'm putting together my list of components for a "at no expense" Warmoth tele right now.

bitshird

Chuck, that's a nice looking Axe, I hope the shim job comes out good. sometimes just getting the frets leveled is a big help also. Just not a job for the meek of hart.

Top Bottom