Kit Telecaster

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Bree

Well Chuck...

It's a GUITAR!! Great job!!!

Now it's time to cover it in leather and make it a Waylon Jennings Tele!! Or heck just beat it up for awhile and ya gotcher Merle Haggard Tele!

Or you can have super FUN with it! Heck Pete Townsend used to smash them to pieces in the old days before Gibson SG's took possession of him!! Made beaucoup bucks smashing Teles!! There's an idea trapped in there waiting to come out.

Be creative. But keep my Carvin DC-400 out of your creativity! I am conservative with my guitars you know.
:wink::wink::wink:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck that looks great. You should be very pleased with it. Can't wait to see your strat kit.

Jamie
Thanks Jamie , I am quite pleased with it .

Hey Chuck,

It looks pretty darned good for a first build. There are a couple of serious concerns that are probably my fault for not explaining more thoroughly. On my recomendation of running the strings through the body I failed to realize that your bridge was a top loader. Now as it is you can terminate the strings at the bridge or run them through your "custom" ferrules at the rear ala Schecter guitars.....interesting!!.. The shimming of the neck is more of a concern though...I wish I could see it.

On your next build I would suggest you go with a better kit from Warmoth or USA Custom Guitars....granted they are more expensive but they are a night and day difference in quality. You can literally build a custom shop level guitar for under a grand. I'm putting together my list of components for a "at no expense" Warmoth tele right now.
Thanks Chris , I'm not too worried about the string holes yet . I think it will still work out . If not , I can fill the holes and use another bridge . I'm not set on shimming the neck . I may see about shaving some wood after taking some measurements . I will definately go with a Warmoth or USA Custom next time . I'll let you know how this string set-up works out . Please post your build here when you get started .

Chuck, that's a nice looking Axe, I hope the shim job comes out good. sometimes just getting the frets leveled is a big help also. Just not a job for the meek of hart.
Thanks Ken , the good thing is , frets are already leveled and polished .
Well Chuck...

It's a GUITAR!! Great job!!!

Now it's time to cover it in leather and make it a Waylon Jennings Tele!! Or heck just beat it up for awhile and ya gotcher Merle Haggard Tele!

Or you can have super FUN with it! Heck Pete Townsend used to smash them to pieces in the old days before Gibson SG's took possession of him!! Made beaucoup bucks smashing Teles!! There's an idea trapped in there waiting to come out.

Be creative. But keep my Carvin DC-400 out of your creativity! I am conservative with my guitars you know.
:wink::wink::wink:
Thanks Bree , Pete Townsend and Kyle Bush are idiots ! :mad: Smashing guitars :mad: I'll keep that leather idea in the back of my mind :wink: Why not send that Carvin to me and , I'll see what I can do to it :biggrin:

I appreciate the comments everybody ! Thanks !

Bree

Thanks Bree , Pete Townsend and Kyle Bush are idiots ! :mad: Smashing guitars :mad: I'll keep that leather idea in the back of my mind :wink: Why not send that Carvin to me and , I'll see what I can do to it :biggrin:

I appreciate the comments everybody ! Thanks !

Geeze Chuck now you are sounding like Dave Matthews! I loved watching Pete smash his Teles. It got your blood moving!! I guess you are getting old now. Lost that 60's SPIRIT!

So that means that you are going to have to PLAY the Tele and get some UTube video embedded for us to watch.

NO! You are not getting your hands on the Carvin! NO way!!
:eek::eek::eek:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
OK !! It's DONE :wink: :biggrin: Only after I discovered having wired the output jackwards :eek::rolleyes: made an awful noise :redface: But it sounds GOOD :biggrin: Thanks for all the comments along the way . It was a fun project and , can't wait to start on the Strat !

Attachments

• IMG_0689.jpg
    IMG_0689.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 156

toolcrazy

I want to try a stat, too. But can you get a decent guitar with the stock part? I can't afford to buy the kit and do the upgrades.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Steve , there are so many ways you can go it's unbelievable . But , if you look at the places Chris referred to in his posts , you'll find what you're looking for . I actually didn't spend too much even with the upgrades , although I could have saved some shipping expense if I would have had a list of everything I needed to upgrade in my first order . I have not totalledeverything yet and , not sure I should :redface: If you need help , let me know !

To answer your question , I think it would be decent with stock parts .

Jgrden

OK !! It's DONE :wink: :biggrin: Only after I discovered having wired the output jackwards :eek::rolleyes: made an awful noise :redface: But it sounds GOOD :biggrin: Thanks for all the comments along the way . It was a fun project and , can't wait to start on the Strat !
You have allot of posts. Keep it up. I enjoy what you write.

Rfturner

I am throwing my hat into this ring I just bought a kit today off ebay I will post pics once I get it (Les Paul copy)

Dale your guitar looks great I am kinda jealous, I will be learning how to play as well after I get mine made up

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I am throwing my hat into this ring I just bought a kit today off ebay I will post pics once I get it (Les Paul copy)

Dale your guitar looks great I am kinda jealous, I will be learning how to play as well after I get mine made up
Well all right ! :biggrin: You know what they say around here Ryan ,"No pics , didn't happen" :biggrin: So first thing you do when you open that box is , grab the camera . I like the Les Pauls since I can remember listening to him and Mary Ford on the radio . :redface: Good luck and , have fun ! :wink:

Rfturner

Well all right ! :biggrin: You know what they say around here Ryan ,"No pics , didn't happen" :biggrin: So first thing you do when you open that box is , grab the camera . I like the Les Pauls since I can remember listening to him and Mary Ford on the radio . :redface: Good luck and , have fun ! :wink:

Yes I know no pics didn't happen It has not been shipped out yet though. all the parts are in that little bag
MVC-287S.JPG

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
That is an outstanding looking body . Is that the actual kit you will receive ? Looks like a little spalting in the grain . How will you finish it ? Nice find Ryan .

Rfturner

I am pretty sure this is the one it will have a spalted maple top, I plan on staining Dark red almost black outer edge that fades towards the middle where it will be just natural wood, I am still playing with the idea but I am not going to paint it I want to leave it pretty much natural. I know that it does not have the pick guard so I will purchase one I am thinking tortise shell. It comes with blacked out componets so I may change them out with chrome ones

DurocShark

Well, now you done it. My daughter has been bugging for a guitar for a while (she's 8...sigh). I've been tempted to just buy one of the hundred buck pink guitars at Toys R Us. But crap is crap.

Now I want to buy a kit and build her one. Ack! I play bass (total duffer) and we could jam together. heh...

One of these would be more than enough I think: http://grizzly.com/products/Telecaster-Guitar-Kit/H8068

I have amps too. . .

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
That looks pretty much the same as mine however , this one has the ferrels for the strings to go thru the body AND, holes in the bridge . Looks like the pots are pre-wired too . Cost is a little more but hey....it saves you some work .

BTW,as a father of two girls , keep her at home learning to play guitar :wink:

Thanks for posting the link !

Top Bottom