Kit Telecaster

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I am pretty excited about this ! I've wanted to do this since I was 13 years old . This is somewhere on my "Bucket List" Finally , I found the kit that fits the budget . A Fender Telecaster , unfinished but , routed for the pick-ups and wiring . I'll have to shape the head and , do some sanding with 600 -1000 grit . Ordered some Translucent Blue dye & Clearcoat for the finish . The frets look to be pretty level and smooth , so I'll put it together and see how it sounds , then see about leveling and crowning . I have upgraded the pick-ups and tuners as well as the bridge & ferrals for running the strings thru the body . I REALLY want to thank Cgris Leadbetter (Chriselle) for giving me some very important tips on doing this . If I get this put together , I hope to have Chris build an Amp for me . Wish me luck on this first guitar project ! :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_0669.jpg
    IMG_0669.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 455

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Looks like Eddie Van Halen in the making Chuck. When you get that baby done you'll have to have a jam session at the meeting:wink:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Looks like Eddie Van Halen in the making Chuck. When you get that baby done you'll have to have a jam session at the meeting:wink:
Yeh Right Ernie ! :biggrin: Uhhh , I didn't mention ..... I'm making it , to learn how to play :redface::rolleyes: But, I'll be glad to bring it to the meeting !!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

hewunch

Sweet! Building a guitar is on my list too. And teles are my fav. I have owned 6 and still have my 1st. If u need any wiring help or pickup recommendations give me a shout

JerrySambrook

Chuck
I built, repaired, and hot rodded guitars for a few years.
Give me a hollar if you need help.
Also still have someof my old manuals for specs.
Jerry

RAdams

Banned
That is gonna be a sweet Axe!! Congrats! I look forward to seeing it finished!!!

PenMan1

Chuck
I built a Tele also. It was a pile of fun. The only "strange" thing was that it took 4 times as much paint and clear coat as I originally estimated. That dry alder ash wood really soaks up the paint. Every time that I thought I was finished painting and ready to clear coat, two days later the grain of the wood would pop right back through. Good luck, this should be a fun, fun project.

chriselle

Hey Chuck,

Well, looks like you are going to have a lot of support from other members here. What are you going to do for a nut? Also, I can't see in the picture but did they drill wiring channels from the neck pup route to the control cavity? Enjoy the build and let me know what kind of amp you're interested in..:wink::wink:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Sweet! Building a guitar is on my list too. And teles are my fav. I have owned 6 and still have my 1st. If u need any wiring help or pickup recommendations give me a shout
Thanks Hans ! I'll keep you in mind .

Chuck
I built, repaired, and hot rodded guitars for a few years.
Give me a hollar if you need help.
Also still have someof my old manuals for specs.
Jerry
Thanks Jerry . It's great to know some of you guys here have knowledge to offer . I appreciate it ! Will hollar if I need to .

Looks cool. What kind of paint job are you going with?
I ordered some Translucent Blue Dye from Guitar Re-ranch dot com , along with some Clearcoat . I've already tested the dye on a piece of 3/16 plywood . Great results .

Chuck
I built a Tele also. It was a pile of fun. The only "strange" thing was that it took 4 times as much paint and clear coat as I originally estimated. That dry alder ash wood really soaks up the paint. Every time that I thought I was finished painting and ready to clear coat, two days later the grain of the wood would pop right back through. Good luck, this should be a fun, fun project.
Thanks for the info . This body is Poplar . Light weight but dense wood . This dye covered the grain in this plywood piece in 3 coats . I'm just going to have to accept it the way it is , when it's done .

Hey Chuck,

Well, looks like you are going to have a lot of support from other members here. What are you going to do for a nut? Also, I can't see in the picture but did they drill wiring channels from the neck pup route to the control cavity? Enjoy the build and let me know what kind of amp you're interested in..:wink::wink:
WHAT NUT ?? Yes , all the channels are drilled . The body is drilled for the bridge screws , and the neck is drilled for the neck to body screws . Thanks for the help Chris .

Chuck Nugent?????

Chuck Hendrix !:biggrin:

Thanks to all of you for the encouragement and offers for help . You just might have to answer some questions .:redface::biggrin:

hewunch

Looks to me like your nut is already installed. It is the piece at the transition of the headstock and the fretboard that has the slots in it that keep the strings in line.

toolcrazy

Wow, cool project. Where did you get the kit. I've been wanting another guitar forever, haven't played in years. This might be the way to go.

Bree

Well Chuck... this will be fun for you. I got myself a banjo kit from Grizzly and made that a couple of years ago. That was lots of fun. I still can't play the darn thing like Earl Scruggs but it looks good!

I like to play the guitar though I am not all that good at that either. But I have some nice guitars. My fav is my Carvin DC-400. I have always wanted to make a neck-through guitar like that Carvin with a hot top and a fast skinny neck. Your little project might trigger me into doing something like that!!

I would probably have to buy a fretboard as I don't have the equipment to radius it properly. But I think I have the tools necessary to make the rest of the guitar. So keep posting progress PIX cuz you are getting me stoked!!
:musical-note::bananen_smilies008::musical-note:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Wow, cool project. Where did you get the kit. I've been wanting another guitar forever, haven't played in years. This might be the way to go.
I odered the kit from guitarfetish.com . They offer several different styles and woods . They recommend upgrading the components and , sell them on their site (which I did ) some of the good stuff (pick-ups) are on back order but can be found elsewhere . A word about this site . It is an online only business and , there is no telephone contacts . All correspondence is made by email . I am waiting for a response to my email . When I ordered my upgrade pick-ups , I received two bridge pick-ups although the invoice showed 1 bridge and 1 neck with chrome cap . Otherwise I'm happy so far . We will see .

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Well Chuck... this will be fun for you. I got myself a banjo kit from Grizzly and made that a couple of years ago. That was lots of fun. I still can't play the darn thing like Earl Scruggs but it looks good!

I like to play the guitar though I am not all that good at that either. But I have some nice guitars. My fav is my Carvin DC-400. I have always wanted to make a neck-through guitar like that Carvin with a hot top and a fast skinny neck. Your little project might trigger me into doing something like that!!

I would probably have to buy a fretboard as I don't have the equipment to radius it properly. But I think I have the tools necessary to make the rest of the guitar. So keep posting progress PIX cuz you are getting me stoked!!
:musical-note::bananen_smilies008::musical-note:
Jump in there Bree ! I don't want to be the only one doing this . I have to say , this neck is maple (unfinished) with a rosewood fret board . I took it downtown to a Musicians Repair place to have it leveled and crowned . The guy said it doesn't need it :eek: , go ahead and put it together , try it out and , if there's any string buzzing , bring it back .
I'm gonna get started on it probably tomorrow . I have to start with the head . It comes squared at the top . I'll have to duplicate the Tele shape as close as I can and , cut out on my scrollsaw , then start sanding . After that , I need to drill the string holes thru the body . :eek: THAT will be a challenge for sure .:redface: I'll get pics up as I go .

toolcrazy

I odered the kit from guitarfetish.com . They offer several different styles and woods . They recommend upgrading the components and , sell them on their site (which I did ) some of the good stuff (pick-ups) are on back order but can be found elsewhere . A word about this site . It is an online only business and , there is no telephone contacts . All correspondence is made by email . I am waiting for a response to my email . When I ordered my upgrade pick-ups , I received two bridge pick-ups although the invoice showed 1 bridge and 1 neck with chrome cap . Otherwise I'm happy so far . We will see .

Thanks Much. When I can afford it, gonna buy a Strat kit. Just like Stevie Ray Vaughan. Can't wait.

Bree

Jump in there Bree ! I don't want to be the only one doing this . I have to say , this neck is maple (unfinished) with a rosewood fret board . I took it downtown to a Musicians Repair place to have it leveled and crowned . The guy said it doesn't need it :eek: , go ahead and put it together , try it out and , if there's any string buzzing , bring it back .
I'm gonna get started on it probably tomorrow . I have to start with the head . It comes squared at the top . I'll have to duplicate the Tele shape as close as I can and , cut out on my scrollsaw , then start sanding . After that , I need to drill the string holes thru the body . :eek: THAT will be a challenge for sure .:redface: I'll get pics up as I go .

Cut out a template from MDF. Get it properly shaped. Then cut your actual head using the template and flush trim router bit. That will give you the best result with the least sanding and chance for error... just like David Marks does!

String holes = Drill press. Bring it over here to Buffalo and you can drill it on my New Steel City DP with a 6" throw! Bring beer! LOL!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Much. When I can afford it, gonna buy a Strat kit. Just like Stevie Ray Vaughan. Can't wait.
Yeh , that one's next .

Cut out a template from MDF. Get it properly shaped. Then cut your actual head using the template and flush trim router bit. That will give you the best result with the least sanding and chance for error... just like David Marks does!

String holes = Drill press. Bring it over here to Buffalo and you can drill it on my New Steel City DP with a 6" throw! Bring beer! LOL!
This is a primative operation here . No routers , not even a bit . I'll see about a template . Thanks Bree , I'll be right over ! :biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
So here's what I got done today , after visiting my daughter for her birthday and , going to Lowes for supplies . The after market necks come in the paddle shape , so not to infringe on Fender trade marks . So I made up a shape similar to the original . I drew out a line , and cut close with my trusty 10" Bandsaw . Made it pretty easy . Took it to the Beltsander and got it closer . Then it was 320 by hand , followed by 600 dry . Right now it has two coats of Deft Laquer on it . I'll put two more on it . I made a temporary neck for handling the body as I'm coating it tomorrow after sanding .

Attachments

• IMG_0669-1.JPG
    IMG_0669-1.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0670.JPG
    IMG_0670.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0671.jpg
    IMG_0671.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 159

SRT8invasion

Blue dye

Blue food coloring makes a great translucent dye. Dyed buckeye burl and acrylic. The stand dyed curly maple. Excuse the quality.
IMG00053-20100321-1523.jpg

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Moving right along I see Chuck....looking good.
Thanks Chris . One more coat of Laquer on the neck , then wet sand and polish . New bridge , pick-ups and string thru ferrals will be here Tuesday .

Blue food coloring makes a great translucent dye. Dyed buckeye burl and acrylic. The stand dyed curly maple. Excuse the quality.
IMG00053-20100321-1523.jpg
That is a nice shade of blue and , a nice pen . Already have the dye though . Thanks for the suggestion and , photos .

Just do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKajzGlRqd0

Or this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NatPKoMRnUA

Then make a pair and try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmEoN1iKvnc

I mean, after all, even little kids can figure these things out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xRARmrorGU
This should be no problem for me , in about a hundred years . :eek::redface::beat-up:

rdunn12

I started making the patterns for my first guitar today,I am not going to do the kit thing (may be a big mistake) luckily I have a strat i can take apart to make patterns and such.I would like to see your progress.Made the pattern for the body today,I think it turned out ok .

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I started making the patterns for my first guitar today,I am not going to do the kit thing (may be a big mistake) luckily I have a strat i can take apart to make patterns and such.I would like to see your progress.Made the pattern for the body today,I think it turned out ok .
If you have tools for routing and drilling wire channels , cutting for frets and nut , then you're not making a mistake . I just chose the easiest direction for ME . :redface: I got the backside of the neck and head finished today . Have to get some Lemon oil for the Fretboard tomorrow .

Glad you decided to go for it Ronald . I'd like to see your progress too .

Attachments

• IMG_0672.JPG
    IMG_0672.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 163

rdunn12

If you have tools for routing and drilling wire channels , cutting for frets and nut , then you're not making a mistake . I just chose the easiest direction for ME . :redface: I got the backside of the neck and head finished today . Have to get some Lemon oil for the Fretboard tomorrow .

Glad you decided to go for it Ronald . I'd like to see your progress too .

wow that looks really good hope my neck turns out that good!!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Now THAT is cool ! Did he , or you build that one ? :confused: I guess I should have mentioned how I finished the neck . Not trying to initiate a tutorial , but just briefly , I put probably 8 coats (I didn't count them) Deft Clear Gloss in a spray can . Let it dry in the sun for a few hours . Wet sand 400 , then just like my pens , went thru all my MM pads sanding carefully along the edges and the taped Rosewood Fretboard . Novus II , Maguires Swirl Remover .
Thanks for the photo Ron !

chriselle

No,that is a B.C. Rich Warlock.

I always got such a kick out of BC Rich designs...cool to look at but not the most ergonomic to play. But on what other occasion can you say, "Rich Bitch!" and not get slapped...:wink: Keep us up to date on your build, too. That design looks like you are thinking of a thru body neck...might actually be easier with all those curves around the neck pocket. Looking good.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I got my bridge , and string thru ferrals today and , wouldn't you know , there's a snag already ? The pre-routed cavity for the bridge pup isn't big enough for the pup after mounting to the bridge , using the pre-drilled screw holes for mounting the bridge to the body . May have to go back out and measure then drill new holes . I'll have to mount the neck to the body (which I hadn't planned on doing just yet) It has to be 25 1/2 " from the nut to the saddles . My measurements will determine whether I'll re-locate mounting holes or make that cavity bigger without a router ('cause I don't have one ) :beat-up: I'll report my findings later .:redface:

jbostian

Cool project Chuck. I built a strat copy a while back. That was one of my first projects that got me into woodworking. Not that I did much to the kit other then paint it and slap it together. What parts did you upgrade?

Jamie

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Cool project Chuck. I built a strat copy a while back. That was one of my first projects that got me into woodworking. Not that I did much to the kit other then paint it and slap it together. What parts did you upgrade?

Jamie
Thanks Jamie ! I upgraded Pick-ups and got a Wilkinson Gold bridge but , it's not going to work for me . Looks like I'll use the one that came with the kit . I'm having a problem with Guitar.com not answering my emails so , I may have a bridge for sale . :redface:

Hey Chuck....don't forget that once you have finished it, you HAVE to make a miniature pen version, :biggrin::tongue:
Steve !! :eek: Did you HAVE to ?? :redface: I can do that as soon as you get up the tutorial ! :tongue: That is just too cool .:wink:

jbostian

Thanks Jamie ! I upgraded Pick-ups and got a Wilkinson Gold bridge but , it's not going to work for me . Looks like I'll use the one that came with the kit . I'm having a problem with Guitar.com not answering my emails so , I may have a bridge for sale . :redface:

Sorry to hear you are having problems with the company. I was wondering if you were going to use the leftover pieces to build another guitar from scratch.

Jamie

Top Bottom