Kal-eggoscopes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Monty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
These are the first kaleidoscopes I've turned. Four acrylic and one brazillian rosewood. I've got one more to make as soon as my BOW arrives. Thought I'd add these to my inventory and see haw well they sell at my upcomming shows. I'll start pricing at $55 and see what happens. I'll probably add some wand kaleidoscopes as well.

2007811233212_kaleidoscopeIAP.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Mannie,
agree with everyone.. wow...
I haven't tried the acrylics yet.. those look fantastic. I'm down to only four left in my inventory and they are not the prettiest I've made, but still get lots of attention in my booth..

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Chuck,
I figured I's try for the $50-$60 range as I have about $20 tied up in one egg - about $10 for the kit, $5 for the acrylic blank and $5 for the stand. Need something for my time.

Mannie

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Mannie,

I get $40-45 for acrylic, $30 for diamondwood.

The diamondwood sell pretty well - I am just starting acrylics, so no real sales history yet.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have a little more time now.

Mannie, the kit mirrors are generally NOT very good. If you get a "kaleido-affectionado", they will instantly identify scratches and dirt, which eliminates THEM as buyers. So, either replace the mirrors (which is what I do) or expect an "uneducated" buyer. These expect to buy them like "toys", not collectibles - so you're pricing against "Fisher-Price".

Kaleido-collectors expect to pay over $100 for a "good" scope. They will pay over $300 for a "better" scope. These are not easy to make for craft shows, because we transport so often.

I have NOT solved these problems, but that is the situation, as I see it.

Good luck with them.[:D][:D][:D]

Ed, When you replace the mirrors, are you using plastic mirror? or glass mirror?

Edit for clarity: I past a box from my parents old shop and it had kaleidoscope kits in it but the mirrors were a thin polished metal foil.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Scratchy,

No, Dawn is a stained glass artist which, I assume you are also.

I use 1/16" front-surface mirror that was made for high-end k-scopes. Bought out the remaining supply from a source in Chicago in 2000, use it sparingly when I want to make GREAT scopes.

Otherwise, simple 1/8" front-surface mirror from the glass suppliers is sufficient.[:D][:D][:D]

Thanks.

No I haven't expanded to stained glass. I just etch glass and stone. Not so much stone anymore. When I can steal some time, I will go through my work archive and post a few pics, which I also need to take some more of...

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />"NorEast Florida"

How close is that to JAX? My parents are in Jax. for the last 20 years or so.

I'm in Atlantic Beach, I "work" in Jax Beach. If I face West and with a good wind at my back I could probably throw(only if I had a shoulder replacement or my name was Steve Austin[8D]) a football and hit the city dividing line for AB and Jax.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have been to Atlantic Beach MANY times for "playing in the ocean". Beautiful "neck of the woods". My folks live in Riverside. 100 year old house that was owned by Lennard Skinner.[:eek:)][:eek:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom