Jar opener

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dale Allen

Dale Allen

Anyone else make these?
Seems to work good but I have not yet tried it on a really stuck lid.
Thinking of these for Christmas gifts.

Attachments

• opener.jpg
    opener.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 423
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fay Prozora

I have one just like that some one had given it to me. Yes it works on stubborn lids. It's nice to know I can make a replacement handle should it break. Great idea. Fay

BKind2Anmls

Dale,

I just tried to make my first jar opener (I've got to do 20) and I had a real problem getting the large post to go into the hole after I finished it. I had to drill deeper and the only way I could get it up high enough to line up with the hole was to have the spur on my brad point bit poke through the top. I used a pen blank and left as much as I could in the middle but it didn't seem to be enough.

Did you have any trouble getting the hardware put together? Did you drill the holes after you turned it?

Skie_M

Dale,

I just tried to make my first jar opener (I've got to do 20) and I had a real problem getting the large post to go into the hole after I finished it. I had to drill deeper and the only way I could get it up high enough to line up with the hole was to have the spur on my brad point bit poke through the top. I used a pen blank and left as much as I could in the middle but it didn't seem to be enough.

Did you have any trouble getting the hardware put together? Did you drill the holes after you turned it?

Try using a standard type twist bit to finish the hole. It doesn't have that brad point that will poke through at the end.

Also, use a larger blank ... Some pen blanks come as 3/4 by 3/4 by 5 inches or so ... but certain blanks you can get are 1 inch square by 5 inches.

If you have access to your own local wood, you can make your blanks whatever size you wish, or you could invest in spindle blanks to cut down. I know that PSI offers spindle blanks as large as 2 x 2 x 12, which would be plenty large enough for 2 good sized handles.

Top Bottom