Its been a while

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from UKpenmaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

UKpenmaker

,since i did something larger than pens.

Monkey Puzzle (Araucaria araucaria)
Stands 7.5 in high and 7.5 at the widest point

2007623154831_pen0.jpg

Comments Welcome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kkwall

Wonderful work Andrew.[:p]

The wood is fantastic, and I love the shape you have made.[8D]

Perhaps I have sniffed too much CA fumes today, but can you see the devils face on the knot on the right hand side??

That's not the only image I can see, but I am too much of a gentleman to mention the other one.[:I]

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Yowza !!! I nearly choked on my beer!!!! Thought for a minute I had logged onto my 2nd favourite site by mistake[:D][;)]

Nice work as usual Andrew

Ron Mc

LOL...Andrew I am proud to have one of your pens in my private collection....yet....this piece seems to just jump out at me.[:D]
Very nicely done. I admire the way you have used the knots in the wood to compliment the turning!

UKpenmaker

Many thanks for all the comments.
I was thinking about making a pair, but some poeple seem to think a already have[}:)]

For those of you who are not aware of this wood, the knots always go all the way round the piece, as this is how the branches are formed on the tree.

Kenny, i thought i was the only one who saw strange faces in my work[:p], although i didn;t use any CA on this[;)]
Mark, i am still here, just been a bit busy sorting out our land purchase in Scotland[:D].
Skiprat, sorry i nearly drowned you, i will put on a warning next time just for you.[:eek:)]
Jon, i see what you mean about the photo, i just had to go a check the piece and it is about 1mm out, i think that it is he photo playing tricks again.

Cheers all
Andy

Tom McMillan

Very nice piece!!! Where does this wood come from??? It does sound a lot like Norfolk Island Pine with the limbs going around the tree. Do you know if it has another name??

UKpenmaker

Hi Tom,
This wood came form a standing dead tree which we felled in one of our local parks, so needless to say i cut a few slices for myself[;)][}:)]
It is very similar to the Norfolk Island Pine (Araucaria heterophylla), this one is known over here as the Monkey Puzzle Tree (Arucaria Arucana).

Tom McMillan

Thanks so much for the info Andrew!! I'm curious if it might have the same qualities as the Norfolk Island Pine where some soak it in a solution for awhile (takes several months I guess soaking/drying/soaking/drying, etc.) which makes it pretty translucent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom