Intentional Scratches: Cranes in Love

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

Scratchboarded from life at the zoo, Valentines gift, steps:

Loving pair of grey crowned cranes (Balearica regulorum) posed just long enough to let me scratch their portrait onto an 8x10" Ampersand clayboard panel which I'd airbrushed with India ink; used a safety pin and steel wool to work from dark to light. I mounted the panel on a camera tripod to permit controlled tilt and rotation.
Then went home and airbrushed the details and color with a Harder Steenbeck .2mm Infinity airbrush (20-30psi); Daler Rowney FW acrylic inks.
Will seal the painting with Krylon Matte spray fixative.
attachment.php

Hoping to incorporate the techniques into pens after some material testing - intentional pen scratching.

Warm regards to all - Bob

Attachments

• Scratchboard,AirbrushedCranes,markison2017,800px.jpg
    Scratchboard,AirbrushedCranes,markison2017,800px.jpg
    589.8 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Bob .... you're amazing !!!!!

Edit: Great minds think alike ... and at the same time, too ... Charlie and me !!!! :biggrin:

Last edited:

OZturner

Glorious Work, Bob.
You Never Cease to Amaze Me.
Just "How Many Strings" do you carry in your Bow.
Such Talent, I don't know how you can afford the Time for "Your Day Job", with so much else that you Pack into Your Day.

I think perhaps from another Field, I have held that Sammy Davis Jnr, was the most Talented Entertainer that I knew of.

Bob you don't Dance, Mime, Sing, Play "x Number " of Instruments, Act, Tell Stories, and Do Pistol Tricks as well do You?

I do hope that Sammy's Prestige is Safe.

Kindest Personal Regards To Bob, The Unlimited Man.
Brian.

Skie_M

Hmm ... rather than a pin held in your hand, have you thought about using an assortment of dip pens without ink, using a variety of available width nibs?

Beyond that, this is quite impressive work! :)

PR_Princess

I've always loved the effects that you can get with scratchboard, especially for wildlife. And yours is outstanding Bob! Simply gorgeous!

What a wonderful Valentines gift!!!

Bob in SF

Humble and heartfelt thanks for the kind words. I am just scratching the surface.

Brian: Sammy is safe forever. I still go full speed ahead at my day job, but strongly believe that serious engagement in art and craft (and other things) propels everything else. We are all blessed and lucky to work materials with reverence.

Gregory: I have tried all sorts of scratching tools, but have not tried all of the calligraphy nibs - fine idea. Most of the time, I have safety pins in my jackets, and little "scratchable" boards in the trunk of the car for moments of inspiration.

Dawn: I certainly agree about the magic of scratch board. When I studied drawing with one of the pen and ink masters (Gene Chrisman) many years ago, he spoke some rather profound words right off the cuff: " Practice every day so you can let your brain, ego, hands, tools, and media vanish as you absorb into and render the profound splendor of the real and imagined world."

Happy Monday to all.

- Bob

Top Bottom