Intarsia teaser

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rccrazybill

That is awesome!! I want to try Intarsia so badly . I wish there was some place around here to take lessons. Sadly living in the middle of nowhere has it's down side. I have a beautiful new scroll saw sitting down in my shop covered with a superman bed sheet[:0]

palmermethod

Originally posted by workinforwood

Here's a little teaser for ya'll. The completed portion is around 600 pcs, and I estimate around 2000 will be the total. It's going to only be about 24x30 in size too. I definitely need a drink!

2008124165335_leaves%20011.jpg

Extremely nice work. How did you do the music sheets?

workinforwood

I did my music sheets the old fashioned way, I cut them all out. It took me a month. I started with the lines across then filled them with inlace. I then did the up and down lines to the right and part of the music symbol thing. Once those were done, I finished the music symbols and the notes. It was careful planning and cutting so that it wouldn't fall apart on me. Sure, I could have burned it, and even easier would have been to paint them, but I wanted the challenge of scrolling them, if anything to see if it could be done. If you could look at them right up close, you can see the minor scrolling flaws and occasional drill mark. I think those flaws add to the romance of all the hard labor involved in the project. If you do this much work, no sense in cheating out of a step. Generally, I draw my own designs...this is not my design. It's a design I recovered and altered from a 16th century marquetry on one of Louis the XIV roll-top desks. That desk took 3 people 5 yrs to build. When I saw this design, I knew I had to build it, and I think the original designers would be proud to see it in a different style. There's no possible way they could have built it like this had they even wanted to back then. Even as a marquetry, the original design was much simpler than this. They burned in the notes. The leaves were one piece with burn lines to define the veins, as were several other items single pieces. I broke it down and detailed it..separated every leaf and flower the way it should be. Had to make other changes along the way as there were things going on that made no sense to me, and what you see now is the end result. I'm quite proud of it and hope it brings me the big ribbons. [^]

I'm pretty happy to see everyone here seems to love it too.

Darley

jeff, can't keep my eyes off your photos for this Intarsia trying to count the wood species, how many wood species did you use? did you paint the crown in gold and silver the arrow tip? another thing beside your Intarsia I realy like the way you present it I mean the frame, quite original, this is realy a keeper, you can have your drink now you deserve it :D

workinforwood

Darley...I can't recall exactly how many species of wood. Most likely in the 40 or 50 range. The silver color is actually aluminum from Johnny CNC. That arrowhead on top is 3/4 aluminum and the other 2 are 1/2". The gold, is gold leafing. There's a few auzzie woods including the torch itself is white top burl with the gum holes full of black epoxy...basically it's worthless wood that I made, but the idea of it came from this great forum.

tbird

There was a Chapter meeting at Jeff's house and I had the pleasure of touring his house with his daughter to see his work.........PHENOMENAL! What struck me, next to the quality, was the size of some of them, especially the one of the mermaid. I caught myself a couple of times saying out loud...wow. Jeff, you do some awesome work.

Top Bottom