I stole someone's idea

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TellicoTurning

and this is my version... I don't remember who posted this or where, but the originator of this idea posted a natural edged salt cellar with a glass lid. The lid was made from the base of a wine glass that he had cut off... since I cut lots and lots of wine glasses and have been tossing the bases, I glommed onto his idea and tried my hand.

These are both Cherry, about 3 1/2 to 4 inches diameter and about 2 inches high... with the lids they are another inch or so in height. The first has a green glass lid from a wine glass I had with green stems and bases... the other is clear glass. Both are finished with 3 or 4 coats of polyurethane.

It's shameful the way we steal other's ideas, but I want to thank who ever I have stolen from for a great, neat idea. :biggrin:

Attachments

• 25-2063_1.JPG
    25-2063_1.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 278
  • 25-2063_5.JPG
    25-2063_5.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 261
  • 25-2065_0.JPG
    25-2065_0.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 252
  • 25-2065_4.JPG
    25-2065_4.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 241
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobleibo

Chuck
Those look great, what a terrific idea, no matter where you got it. As far as stealing someone else's idea, I wouldn't worry about it, you gave credit where it was due. Seeing something then making your own version is in the same light as who invented the first car........then how many others made their own version, only better~
Just an FYI, I'm going to copy YOUR idea and make one myself :)
Cheers
Bob

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
VERY NICE!

And I agree, you gave credit (tried) and that is commendable. We all use what we learn, and when we can give credit for inspiration, that is what is due.

... I also might look more at this!

Mark

Fay Prozora

I think it was Wm. young whole might have posted. He talked about doing this on another forum. He does great work on his projects and your are fantastic also. Great job.. Fay

triw51

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f45/focsitpu-salt-cellar-129286/

It was me or at least I posted a natural edged salt seller with the glass lid from a wine glass foot. You did not steal I shared the photos and ideas the same way others here have shared.

I cut the foot off with an angle grinder with a thin metal cut off wheel just touch the spinning wheel to the stem and the foot falls off. It does not take a lot of pressure.

Last edited:

Fay Prozora

I'm sorry I was wrong about who posted it. It is a great idea and I'm amazed at how many ideas and wonderful projects you are all putting out. I like the idea. The ones with the green glass could be for pepper and the clear ones for salt. Great idea! Looks like they can be used for any thing other than salt... Fay

They look fantastic. How do you cut the wine glass stem?

Jim, I use a Dremel with a cut off disc in the flex cable end... just a touch and the stem will break where you touch it...similar to the angle grinder that William uses...

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f45/focsitpu-salt-cellar-129286/

It was me or at least I posted a natural edged salt seller with the glass lid from a wine glass foot. You did not steal I shared the photos and ideas the same way others here have shared.

I cut the foot off with an angle grinder with a thin metal cut off wheel just touch the spinning wheel to the stem and the foot falls off. It does not take a lot of pressure.

William,
I was thinking it was your example I was following, but didn't remember for sure... it's a great idea and a great use for parts I was just discarding... so far I'm thinking I've tossed several hundred potential salt cellar lids....

I'm taking these two to the farmer's market tomorrow and if they sell as well as I think they will, will be making more... good use of a lot of smaller bowl blanks. Thanks for the inspiration.

Top Bottom