I really should measure more

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

I really need to start measuring when I drill the hole for the worm screw to start a bowl. I got this one a little off center.

E78FF7D5-7C46-41E9-8768-6A179C015D14.jpg

AE5B6000-68DE-4406-9A6A-800436CC71C4.jpg

39AC2F1F-FEEC-4C3B-9AF1-C0041DF3A35C.jpg

194A5377-33E0-44AB-809E-70802BA38F4B.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
My opinion only. If the wings were closer in dimensions it would look like an error. This is far enough off that it looks planned - and that is a compliment! A larger screw-up for this is better than a smaller one. It looks great.

I watched a demo about 2 years ago at our local AAW club on this turning. I was actually close to the right side of the lathe. At "half-time" I moved further back and to the right... The sound of the "propeller" scared the saw-dust out of me.

Well done Cody. And the tinting is spot on. I like where you are going.

Cwalker935

Thanks Mal, Gordon, Bobby, Mark and Mike.

Mark, the propeller sound is a little un-nerving. The other aspect of this is that each corner is rotating at a different point as you are making your passes.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thanks Mal, Gordon, Bobby, Mark and Mike.

Mark, the propeller sound is a little un-nerving. The other aspect of this is that each corner is rotating at a different point as you are making your passes.

Yes, the sound is un-nerving. The reality that you are cutting 1/4 wood and 3/4 air, out 3-8" from the middle is also a bit testy... I appreciate the effort and risk! Well done. Goggles/faceshield is good - for the audience!

I thought you were joking and intentionally made it off-center (or am I missing the joke completely?). IMO that's a great looking winged bowl, something I'm not even close to trying yet.

Cwalker935

I thought you were joking and intentionally made it off-center (or am I missing the joke completely?). IMO that's a great looking winged bowl, something I'm not even close to trying yet.

Yeah, I was joking. I don't think I could cut those wings by accident too much concentration involved.

Yeah, I was joking. I don't think I could cut those wings by accident too much concentration involved.

As a former coworker once told me, "That blonde goes all the way to the roots, doesn't it?" Yes, yes it does...

Thanks for posting the additional pic, it really shoes how it's off center on not just one but two axes, which I missed in the original post.

tomas

I measured twice and still nearly cut my thumb off (17 stitches held it together). So I can understand how you might get a little off-center.

Tomas

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Well, I think it's a stunner. :good::good::good:
Just poor old Mark not getting the joke....:biggrin:

Beware folks.......endless use of jigs and verniers ( like our resident novelist :rolleyes: ) and you will end up just like him !!!:tongue:

Don't worry Mark, we still love you.....:biggrin:

Top Bottom