I am joining the CNC world! My CNC router build

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MesquiteMan

ChrisN

Ed,
One question...I have my parts nested well so that they are very similar to how it would be cut on a tablesaw. In other words, the edges all line up. Would I be better setting toolpaths to make a long cut the length of the sheet rather than cutting each individual part at a time?

The longer of a cut you can make, the better. That will reduce the rapid times (time spent moving from the end of one toolpath to the start of the next one) and your programs will be completed sooner. You also can set the order of the toolpaths so the start of the next one is close to the end of the current one to reduce rapid times. If you would post a picture of how you are nesting your parts, I could give you pointers on how to machine it to eliminate unnecessary rapids. (I program CNCs for a living -- a 3-axis & a 5-axis)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russknan

Curtis, I don't know anything about CNC but, reading your progress on the base, I couldn't escape the conclusion that, should you decide NOT to put the router on it after all, the base could reasonably be used as a substitute for a brick . . . uh . . . lavatory. Solid, precise construction! Russ

ohiococonut

Very nice Curtis!

I bought a Shark Pro Plus HD well over a year ago and I'm having a blast. I use mine for my hobbies and just because I enjoy making things out of wood. I have 5 grandkids so there's plenty of opportunities for me to make things. Now that I'm hooked I want to build a 4'x8' machine :biggrin:

VCarve Pro will do everything you need for your initial flat work. I recently upgraded to Aspire 4.0 and it's like VCarve Pro on steroids :eek:. There literally isn't anything I can't do with it. I initially started out with the basic programs, VCarve pro, Cut 3D and Photo VCarve. The first two programs combined will do essentially what Aspire can but it's much more time consuming and labor intensive. Photo VCarve is still needed for scanned pictures and lithos.
If you decide you want or need Aspire you should still get a discount on the purchase 1 year from now since you purchased VCarve Pro.

Anyway, back to your build.
Are you going to use a router or spindle? Cost and longevity are a factor here. I would advise against a palm router, no power and not designed for plunge cutting. Depending on what you are going to use, check out Precise Bits. They have incredibly accurate collets for router bits, not to mention bits themselves. They also have charts for recommended bits, speeds & feeds.

Your table is the same size as the machine. I built mine twice as large as my machine to provide a place for my laptop and controller. I also built an enclosure with plexiglas windows to cut down on the noise and my dust collector is hooked up to the back. The HF dust collector is fine but it collects dust, not chips. You can get a new one for $150 with a coupon, that's what I did. I also added a Thein baffle and separator drum to it. You may get by with a dust shoe if you so desire. I made one but didn't like the fact I couldn't see the bit cutting and it interfered with some of my 3D work. We work with two different mediums but you are still going to make a mess, minus the dust.

As far as VCarve Pro, watch the tutorial videos, they are invaluable. Need any help, I can probably help.

I'm sure you're already aware that besides the accuracy you get from cnc, it will allow you do be doing other things while it's cutting.

Welcome to the addition :biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
What are you on about Brad??:eek: You have far more toys in your toy box than the rest of us already!!:biggrin:

Gregf

"I've got a couple self built machines, but the one I use the most (99%+) is my Digital Ornamental Lathe ("DOL"). I built it using a lot the linear motion components from CNCRouterparts. I didn't use R&P though so I can't help you with that. But if you have any other question I'm happy to answer them (or at least try to think up an answer:wink:)."

Other than a couple of pics in a thread I haven't been able to fond any previous posts about your "DOL". Any chance of starting a new thread with more info? :)

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Got the base all fastened together, squared up, leveled, and fastened down. In this pic, the rails are installed, the rear bumpers are on, and the rack for the rack and pinion are installed.

railsinstalled.jpg

The rails are cold rolled steel and do not come with the red paint. I got the idea to paint them by looking at other builds of this same machine. It adds some color and helps keep them from rusting. I cleaned them real good, masked off the area of the bearing to run, and sprayed a primer and then paint.

I took my time on everything and made sure things were true and accurate. Today I am going to be working on the gantry. Anyway, here is where I got by 2:30 am yesterday! BTW, I did not get started until after lunch and I took a LOT of breaks due to the heat! I also worked in the garden some so this is really only 3 or 4 hours of work.

gantryinstalled.jpg

gantry2.jpg

Last edited:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
See my comments in red!

Very nice Curtis!

I bought a Shark Pro Plus HD well over a year ago and I'm having a blast. I use mine for my hobbies and just because I enjoy making things out of wood. I have 5 grandkids so there's plenty of opportunities for me to make things. Now that I'm hooked I want to build a 4'x8' machine :biggrin:

VCarve Pro will do everything you need for your initial flat work. I recently upgraded to Aspire 4.0 and it's like VCarve Pro on steroids :eek:. There literally isn't anything I can't do with it. I initially started out with the basic programs, VCarve pro, Cut 3D and Photo VCarve. The first two programs combined will do essentially what Aspire can but it's much more time consuming and labor intensive. Photo VCarve is still needed for scanned pictures and lithos.
If you decide you want or need Aspire you should still get a discount on the purchase 1 year from now since you purchased VCarve Pro.

Anyway, back to your build.
Are you going to use a router or spindle? Cost and longevity are a factor here. I would advise against a palm router, no power and not designed for plunge cutting. Depending on what you are going to use, check out Precise Bits. They have incredibly accurate collets for router bits, not to mention bits themselves. They also have charts for recommended bits, speeds & feeds.

I am using a Hitachi M12v 2.25 hp router. I am sure I will upgrade to a spindle some day but just could not do it now! I have a set of precisebitd collets on the way already!

Your table is the same size as the machine. I built mine twice as large as my machine to provide a place for my laptop and controller. I also built an enclosure with plexiglas windows to cut down on the noise and my dust collector is hooked up to the back. The HF dust collector is fine but it collects dust, not chips. You can get a new one for $150 with a coupon, that's what I did. I also added a Thein baffle and separator drum to it. You may get by with a dust shoe if you so desire. I made one but didn't like the fact I couldn't see the bit cutting and it interfered with some of my 3D work. We work with two different mediums but you are still going to make a mess, minus the dust.

I will be putting the computer on a separate "cart" that I can move around to get out of the way, most likely. I did not want to use it on the base of the machine itself. For one, the rack and pinion system hangs down below the base of the machine so I would have to add risers to the wood base where the machine sets. I wanted everything integrated and stout so choose this route. Controllers and other electronics will go under the table. I will enclose this area with plywood and make doors for access and drawers for tooling. Of course the electronics will be enclosed with good fans to cool them.

I will be using a dust shoe from Kent CNC. It has brushes that are held in place with rare earth magnets and makes changing bits much easier. It is also clear acrylic. I am confident with a dedicated DC for just this machine blowing into a collection shack outside with no bags for pressure drop, I will get good results. I have working with dust collection a lot and have a system in my main shop that works very well that I designed.

As far as VCarve Pro, watch the tutorial videos, they are invaluable. Need any help, I can probably help.

I have had the trial version of VCarve Pro for two weeks now. I have watched all the tutorials and have already done a number of projects with it, just waiting on the machine to run them! While I was building, I designed and did the drafting for 98% of the 100 or so houses I built as well as a really cool church using parametric CAD software. I already think in 3-d and found VCarve very easy to use and figure out. We will see once the tool hits the material, though!

I'm sure you're already aware that besides the accuracy you get from cnc, it will allow you do be doing other things while it's cutting.

Like taking a nap as Bruce said above!

Welcome to the addition :biggrin:

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate it!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Well, I got it all put together yesterday except the motors! The motors I ordered were backordered and shipped separately from the rest of the machine. They are supposed to get here today. Everything else is ready to go.

Here are a few more pics taken yesterday.

Gantry rails installed and gantry complete

Gantrydone.jpg

Assembling the Z axis. Comments on the net say this is a really difficult step. I must have done something wrong because I found it really easy.

zaxisassembly.jpg

Got the router mount done and attached the Hitachi M12v I bought for this machine.

Motormounted.jpg

Now just waiting on motors. Everything else is complete. After the motors come in, I will get them mounted and wire everything up. Then it is time for testing!

readyformotors.jpg

You did a very nice job on this Curtis and you should be proud but this is exactly what I would have expected from you. I can't wait to see the finished product and maybe see a video of it in action.

Sandy H.

Are you using a speed control on your router? I bought the SuperPID and it was worth it. I also had good luck with the Ethernet version of the Smooth Stepper. Both of these made an improvement to my small light duty homemade machine. Someday I will upgrade to a real machine like the one you're building, but for now, I find that good electronics are very important.

Sandy.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Are you using a speed control on your router? I bought the SuperPID and it was worth it. I also had good luck with the Ethernet version of the Smooth Stepper. Both of these made an improvement to my small light duty homemade machine. Someday I will upgrade to a real machine like the one you're building, but for now, I find that good electronics are very important.

Sandy.

It is funny you mention the Super PID! I am on their site as we speak placing my order! It has been on my list to get but I wanted to get the machine up and running first. I may end up with the Smooth Stepper in the future but for now, I am going to use the standard parallel port option with Mach3.

What did the Smooth Stepper do for you that makes it an improvement worth of the money?

leaycraft

OK curtis- this is wonderful to watch how you're progressing. me cleaning to find whats lost in the clutter that accumulated this year. Now that school is out and Im on a 60 day hiatus I'm cleaning and organizing. (swmbo says no more trips to HF for "cleaning supplies). when paychecks resume in Sept. be looking for an order. by then you should be up and running and Ill be organized enough to start down the Cactus Juice route. john

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I may be wrong, but for what you are doing, I don't think the smooth stepper will be much of or any an advantage. The only time I considered one was when I worried that my old computer would die. New ones don't come with a parallel port.

Sandy H.

I added the smooth stepper because I wanted to run it off a laptop with 0 communication issues. Mach 3 sends the info out to the ESS and it does the heavy lifting (sending pulses etc) with output to the Gecko Drive - no load on my PC. I run my system off my daily use laptop and have had 0 lag issues, no connectivity problems and no dedicated need. Its been a while since I initially tried a parallel port setup, but as I recall, the data rate was limited by parallel port bandwidth. That project had a step output and also took in input from an optical encoder. I could easily flood the input from the encoder. This might not be an issue for many uses, but in my case, it has been a smooth installation.

As far as the SuperPID, that thing is wonderful, as it lets you dial in a sane cutter speed if your traverse speeds aren't what you want. Also, since you're going to be dealing with plastic, you have to manage cutter temperature pretty well, I'd wager. I'm not sure how new to machining you are, but if you are somewhat new, be sure to check out the speed and feed information for the material you are cutting. Use those rates as an initial guideline and do some test cuts to see which way you deviate for your setup. A general statement would be: if your cutter gets hot, you are spinning the router too fast for your feed rate. SuperPID lets you take control of that variable and make good cuts even if your machine isn't stiff enough.

Sandy.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
The motors came in yesterday afternoon via UPS. I got them all installed on the machine and hooked up the wires. I also wired up the controller and hooked up the computer. A Mach3 CNC controlled machine requires a parallel port (unless you buy a smooth stepper) and prefers to run under WindowsXP. Naturally, new computers don't have parallel ports very often so when I was at a buddy's business, I noticed he had 3 junk computers sitting there. I asked what he was going to do with them and said they were going in the trash, he just had not tossed them yet. Well, I left with all three computers and managed to get one of them running very well! Stripped down with just XP and Mach3 running with all processes not required shut down, it is actually very fast for a Pentium 4!

Anyway, I got the software all configured and went to the jog screen to manually control the router and the first button I pushed made it move as intended!!

Not to bad if I must say so myself! Started building on Saturday after lunch and have the machine "jogging" by Monday evening after working all day Monday and not just working on the build over the weekend!

I am very happy with the kit from CNC Router Parts and would highly recommend them to anyone wanting to save some money getting into CNC.

Here is a youtube video I shot of some of the first movement of the machine! I still need to attach my cable management and put the finishing touches on it but i imagine I will be cutting something within a day or so!

[yt]l3oxaXvA7VU[/yt]

teamtexas

It's a great feeling to see it move for the 1st time. Congrats! Are you going to be installing base board on top of the aluminum rails?

Dan

ironman123

Come on Curtis, say something, show us something. You got that thing working yet? Don't leave us in the dark to long.:biggrin::biggrin:

Ray

ironman123

Dan, there are tons of DXF's on those pages. Thanks. I have only gotten to page 92 so far.

We are still waiting Curtis. You should have it all tweaked and in production.

Dan, we will see you at Rick's this Saturday. My old hunting grounds are across 107 down in the "Junction", going through Oglesby.

Ray

Last edited:

SamThePenMan

Never get bored with a good build thread.
Congratulations. Can I admit I'm jealous. :biggrin: :wink:
Haha you're not the only jealous one. :)

It's been awhile since I've been on these forums, but glad to see some of the names I recognize still here. I actually came to get some ideas for bottle stoppers (going to make one for my cousin as part of her wedding gift) but couldn't help being distracted by this.

When I worked at my highschool we had 2 CNC mills, a CNC router and a CNC Lathe (all but one of the CNC mills were desktop units made by Denford, the other mill was a TMC1000), as well as a vinyl cutter/plotter which wasn't exactly the same but still pretty fun. I've always wanted a CNC machine after messing around with them. I almost got the TMC1000 when they sent it off to auction at the county but they messed up and separated the mill and its controller, and apparently lost track of both. Hopefully someone got it as I'd hate to think they tossed it out eventually.

I've very briefly looked at building a CNC machine, but at the moment my wife and I are renting. We're looking to buy a house with in the next year or two hopefully. Maybe then I can look into getting a work shop setup with one of these in it. For now I'll just have to settle for keeping up to date with the progress here. :)

Last edited:

LouF

Nice CNC machine I have one I built last year I built the a Fine Line Machine was designed by Ahren of CNC router parts. I am running the Gekco 540, Nema 23, Mach3, VCarve pro7 Hitachi MV12.

Lou

Top Bottom