Huangana Negra Mirror Compact

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BigRob777

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRob777

My very first compact. I have a lot to learn, but I'm relatively happy with it. I still have to clean up the metal. It's a gold compact, with huangana negra wood. Next time, I won't use the tail stock. It's really hard to get rid of the mark. I also found out that wipe-on finish is better than spray-on. Thanks for looking.

20071275276_DSCN0162.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angboy

Hey Rob- don't know how all you assembled this, but I did a few things on compacts and mirrors I made, that were ideas to avoid a problem I know someone had, which was that occassionally the wood would come unglued, especially if they were dropped. So I scuff up the metal part where the wood's going to be glued to. I also bought some of the rubber CA I think it's called? The black colored kind, and used that instead of regular CA.

I have a tendency to go overboard on using stuff like CA- I always figure that if some is good, more is better right? But I learned that that doesn't apply to these, b/c when I'd put a clamp on the wood to hold it down, CA would come out the sides, and especially with the black, that ruined it. So I had to be judicious in using it, but once I got that down, it worked well. I haven't had any come off, though I don't test them by throwing them down or anything.

Anyway, your's looks good- the first one or two I made I also left the wood too think and it looked really out of proportion, even though the wood piece itself looked nice. It looks like you got a good thickness on yours.

Just thought I'd offer those few suggestions.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Rob - Looks good! There's a fairly easy fix to the center "point" problem. You need a waste block for your live center...and the waste block can be used for many things including closed-end pens. Check out YoYoSpin's (Ed Davidson's) video in the library on making bottle stoppers. It gives a great view.

BigRob777

Angie,
I did scuff the metal, but I used just the right amount of thick CA. I hope it's OK. I think it's a bit thick, but I didn't notice that until I assembled it. How do you get the tape off the back? I had a bear of a time. I didn't want to use goo-gone.

Lou,
Doh! Why didn't I remember that. Thanks. For some reason, I can't view Ed's videos. My computer doesn't accept them.

Joe,
You aren't supposed to tell anyone. I did use it on this and it made it shinier. I might have a 3rd jar left, but it'll be in my shop, under all that mess. If you want to clean it up for me, you can keep the TSW, if you find any.[:D]

Jim,
It's for Claudia's student teacher. She graduated and we're going to her graduation party in a few minutes. I didn't know this wood had so much chattoyance. Now Claudia wants one from the same wood, rather than her old favorite Kingwood. I wanted to try a 2" square end-cut of kingwood. The cross grains are awesome.

Thanks for your comments.
Rob

angboy

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />Angie,
I did scuff the metal, but I used just the right amount of thick CA. I hope it's OK. I think it's a bit thick, but I didn't notice that until I assembled it. How do you get the tape off the back? I had a bear of a time. I didn't want to use goo-gone.

Rob, I just rubbed and rubbed at it. Just took a bunch of time.

BigRob777

I was able to peel off the tape, eventually, but the residue was still thick. I think that I like the wood thinner, so I'll start with thinner stock next time.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom