Hammering copper advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from spitfire

spitfire

Does anybody here hammer copper? I am looking at doing a few projects that would involve copper disc approx 2" in diameter and 1/4" thick. I'd like to hammer them to give them nice textured dimpled look. I've tried searching the webs and YouTube for info but came up with very little. Anybody have any advice?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magier412

It depends what you'll be working toward. You will probably get better results with annealing (heating the copper to cherry red) and then hammering until it's work hardened, and then annealing again. 1/4" is pretty thick stock - depending on what you are doing.

So. Look for videos regarding metal forming and fabrication. There should be a lot out there - at least from a jeweler or artist perspective - that can give you the basics to get started.

Have fun!

Sappheiros

I've taken a metalwork and jewelry class before. I would suggest looking into a dapping punch set. Also, for other textures, look for other metal stamp tools. Chasing tools. An anvil block is a must have for placing the metal on while stamping. Also, get a rawhide mallet. A rolling mill could also help for flattening the sheet metal. This would be the extent of my knowledge.

Cwalker935

If you do not mind a rough uneven texture just pound on it with a ball peen hammer, either use a piece of wood behind it or a rug laying on concrete as backing.

Top Bottom