Hammered Copper & Cherry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charlie_W

Charlie_W

Our woodturning club has a "Bring Back" drawing at our monthly meetings. This is where someone turns an item, those willing to play will add a ticket to the drawing. If your ticket is drawn, you win the Turning but must bring back another turning for the next meeting and someone else will win, etc.

Last month, I won an embellished painted egg ornament with a stand. It was a real egg...not turned. The base of the stand was turned.

This week was our meeting and two days before the meeting, I woke up and remembered that I needed to make something for the bring back...Yikes:eek:

I found an idea/inspiration in a magazine and knew I could implement it to a bowl. I dug through some rough turned bowls to find one that fit the bill. It was a cherry bowl I had roughed out 11 months ago. Off to the the garage I went with a plan! Some late hours were involved but I pulled it off....after going to Home Depot and Lowes looking for solid copper nails. I ended up clipping the nail heads smaller and hammering them To match the copper band.

The finished bowl features a hand made inset hammered copper band and it turned out rather nicely! The bowl is almost 8.5" diameter and is finished with TY Finish and buffed.

The recipient was most delighted with the win! I can't wait to see what he brings back next month as his specialty is open segmented bowls and vases.

Attachments

• IMG_4979.jpg
    IMG_4979.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_4980.jpg
    IMG_4980.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_4977.jpg
    IMG_4977.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_4976.jpg
    IMG_4976.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Oh that is a great idea! Very unique with the hammered band.

Beautiful bowl Charlie. Now you need to make one for yourself :).

Charlie_W

Thanks everyone for the compliments and likes! This was the first time working with the copper and I was impressed with the texture and finish.
Yes, Mark, I do need to make one for us! I did make a couple of copper bracelets for my Wonderful Wifey!...she likes them as well

Top Bottom