Hair Stacker

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rovercat

Status
Not open for further replies.

rovercat

I do not tie flies but those that do use an item called a hair stacker.
The tubing in the funnel part is 1/2 brass tubing that I flared. A cut out piece of brass sheet was placed in from the bottom for a nice smooth surface. The bottom section is weighted with lead glued in with Gorilla Glue and felt attached. I mentioned the thought of doing this on another site and a couple of guys made the error of saying it would not work out of wood.

The item is made from Mediterranean Briar wood that I get from Italy

20072214220_gallery44ce73316bf70.jpg

2007221433_gallery44ce73449a353.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MDWine

As a woodworker, and a fly tyer, that's great! I sure would like to make one, how did you do the brass work? Also, is there a finish applied?

Nice work, I want one!!

LEAP

Fly tying, Oh yeah! thats what I used to do in the winter before I got into this pen turning thing. I have only seen a wooden stacker once before it was not half as nice as yours. Great job! How did you flare the tube?

rovercat

The brass tubing is flared with a standerd flaring tool. Prior to drilling my 1/2 dia hole I went in just a bit with a 5/8 foisner bit so the flared end would seat flush. On the base I drilled a 3/4 part way up from the bottom t
then the 1/2 in from the top. This gave me a shlfe to lay the thin brass sheat on while I glued it in place from the bottom. Then I put some lead sinkers in the Bottom filed it with glue. When that set I added the felt. I have done 5 so far but the next one I think I will use the brass ring from a duck call kit to weight the base.

LEAP

Cool thanks for the description, I don't know why but I just assumed you used lead sheeting like chimney flashing under the brass in the base. Well you just added another thing I want to try to the list that I can never find time for. I'm going to blame this forum the next time the boss askes me why I haven't started repainting the family room trim.[;)]

txbob

You might find this site helpful:

http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/woodturning/index.php#1

I have a couple friends that tie flies, I'll have to make a few as gifts. Looks like an interesting diversion from pens.

Happy turning,
txbob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom