Had to try my hand at the seam rippers - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Other Things We Make
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Other Things We Make Show off your bowls, stoppers, flatwork, etc.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 10:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 61

Nice job, I actually like the Corian, and I'm not a great fan of Corian, but those look great.
bitshird is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-24-2010, 08:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Very nice work.
I also like the looks of the corian ones. Your work is actually the nicest I have ever seen in that particlar style of making them. Gives me an idea for my large stash of corian pen blanks..

I just signed up for thirteen consecutive Saturdays of craft fair sales starting tomorrow (Sept 25) to Dec 18 . I will see how the seam rippers go in my particular part of the country . I have given half a dozen away already but this will be the first time displaying them at craft sales.

Getting crowded here with over 100 pens and over 50 bowls and platters and segmented vessels etc and many dozens of other types of turnings so hopefully I can reduce my inventory way down so I can start the fun of making more all over again first of the year.
W.Y. is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-25-2010, 10:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Thank you Mr young for the very kind words.
Good luck at the shows!!!
JIM
corian king is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Jim,
Did you use just a standard 1/2x1/2 blank or something bigger for the corian ones?
Old 01-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

Something to consider for some people. The seam rippers get dull after a while or break and get thrown away. While these look really nice and have a great feel for the person using them, the question they will ask themselves is, "Do I want to spend that much on this and have to throw it away when it breaks."

I make mine by placing the plastic cover inside the wood or other material. Then the ripper slides out and is replaceable for about $2. Of course, that means the handle has to be a bit bigger to accommodate the plastic cover internally. Of course, this is just my two cents worth.

So how do you like making the rippers?
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!
ldubia is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldubia View Post
Something to consider for some people. The seam rippers get dull after a while or break and get thrown away. While these look really nice and have a great feel for the person using them, the question they will ask themselves is, "Do I want to spend that much on this and have to throw it away when it breaks."

I make mine by placing the plastic cover inside the wood or other material. Then the ripper slides out and is replaceable for about $2. Of course, that means the handle has to be a bit bigger to accommodate the plastic cover internally. Of course, this is just my two cents worth.

So how do you like making the rippers?
Larry I agree, When I was selling them I did a Tutorial, and I've sold over 30 complete Seam Rippers and several thousand of the Dritz seam rippers, I think after paying 10.00 to 15.00 that they people should be able to just insert a new cutter, here is a link to the tutorial I did,Tutorial for Seam Rippers I'm kind of glad you're selling them now, I still have about 60 I'm holding on to for my own use. Maybe you should do an up dated one.
bitshird is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-03-2011, 01:18 AM   #17 (permalink)

Ken,
That is the tutorial I first used when I set out to try them. It is very well written and informative. I doubt that I could do it any better.

I do like the way the rippers Jim is making look. They are very polished and classy. As I often say to many, there is always more than one way to do things. And all or none are right or wrong. (My dad said that when I was growing up and I could never figure out what he meant by that until much later in life.)

I have added thimbles to the mix as well as pin cushions. All of them are selling very well.
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!
ldubia is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads