Got Pencils?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

"I'll try for the mold, and when he gets home for a few days it will be waiting for him."

"Me and Randy are gluing up some molds to make a few bowls out of those!!"

What's wrong with using a cottage cheese container for the mold as in the video ?

JohnU

I've done that for pen blanks to use up the tips and just reverse painted light grey, but never thought about a jar. Neat idea! Cottage cheese and sour cream containers work great for bangle blanks too but I glue an upside down yogurt cup in the middle to save resin.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
"I'll try for the mold, and when he gets home for a few days it will be waiting for him."

"Me and Randy are gluing up some molds to make a few bowls out of those!!"

What's wrong with using a cottage cheese container for the mold as in the video ?

I actually think that will be great. I have done maybe 75-100 alumilite pen blanks, and 2-3 larger (1"-2" molds) but nothing this large. I'll try it this spring, but not sure how it will work out for a clear mold. But it looks like fun, and the extra wood accents are easy enough. My eldest (a HS Teacher in Chicago) loves to storm into town, ruin my toys, and storm out... He has several segmenting projects 1/3 way finished waiting for him to fly in on his broom stick. At least he wears a parachute!

Skie_M

Oh my .... a wizard on a broomstick with a drag chute ... you bought him a Fireball, didn't you? No Nimbus 2000 for your kids, that's much too pedestrian ... Heaven forfend that you and your ilk should be caught dead, puttering about on a CleanSweep 7! At least you didn't just buy him a dragon. Nobody likes the rich parents who always go over the top ...

(sorry, I'm a Harry Potter fan, couldn't resist the wizarding reference ... ;) )

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Oh my .... a wizard on a broomstick with a drag chute ... you bought him a Fireball, didn't you? No Nimbus 2000 for your kids, that's much too pedestrian ... Heaven forfend that you and your ilk should be caught dead, puttering about on a CleanSweep 7! At least you didn't just buy him a dragon. Nobody likes the rich parents who always go over the top ...

(sorry, I'm a Harry Potter fan, couldn't resist the wizarding reference ... ;) )

Actually, he needed no broomstick...:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/children-who-did-not-listen-141545/

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/proud-parent-again-136080/

Chris does competitive skydiving (4 way Team). Last two years was on the winning Team in the Middle Division, now got bumped to compete against the Military Teams (Golden Knights?). He expects to be in the middle of the pack, but no podium. His Mother represented the USA in the World Skydiving Championships in the late 1990's before she died in a plane crash with my Bro-In-Law. Chris has been with us since he was a Toddler.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

This concept can be used to use many other things too. He uses what he calls pegs but they are small clothes pins where i come from. But take a walk through Hobby Lobby or any of the craft stores and check out the colorful buttons, play things, or other craft supplies. Do your own creation. Go to the Home Depot or on ebay and pick up a few boxes of small brass screws. That would look pretty cool. Skip could make it into the shape of a nut. :biggrin: Create. Take an idea and add your touch.

JohnU

I agree and find tons of ideas at Hobby Lobby. I guess I've been there too many times, spending too much time just looking for ideas because every time I drive past and mention "hey, there's Hobby Lobby", I get a backseat of groans and sighs. Even my wife will suggest dropping me off and picking me up later.

jttheclockman

You know you got it bad John when you start looking at normal things and try to figure how I can use that in a project. we start to look at things differently. That is the mind of an artist. :biggrin:

Top Bottom