Furniture design question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dale Allen

Dale Allen

Any furniture designers out there?:wink:
Or anyone's opinion is accepted.
I am about half way through this octagon table and cannot decide about the bottom of the legs. I was thinking of tapering them at the bottom below the cross supports. It is about 3" to the floor and I was thinking of tapering them outward about 1".
Or maybe just taper all 4 side slightly as in about a 1/2" 45 degree bevel.
This will get a plywood bottom and a plexiglass top that will be removable.
I plan to use it as a table and a display case. Maybe even put some lights inside.:)
Thanks for looking and commenting.

Dale

Attachments

• oct_table.jpg
    oct_table.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 237
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
"Or maybe just taper all 4 side slightly as in about a 1/2" 45 degree bevel."

I am not a designer, but build a lot of my own. Good designs are hit or miss for me, so don't rely on me. Still, that idea is one that appeals to me in my imagination. (Sometimes reality looks and my imagination don't match.) :biggrin:

I like that design so far! Going to be beautiful work!

Dale Allen

Hank/Charlie, thank you for the kind words and advise.
That is my first choice too so that will be it.
Hehe...much easier too!

tomas

It will be interesting to see what you settle on. It looks like a really nice table. What kind of wood is it? It looks like Lyptus to me.

Tomas

Dale Allen

I don't know about the idea of all 4 corners too. Since the leg is not square it may look odd. I have a section of that left over so I'll do a test of both. And using a contrasting wood would be more trouble than worth.
The wood is rift sawn red oak. Except for the legs which turned out to be quarter sawn.
And that red decorative band...is a strap clamp. However, it is that because I decided that the cargo strap that it was made to be was not correct and it works now as a strap clamp. Works quite well too and easier to use than the old blue web clamp I also have.

Charlie_W

Very nice job on the table!

One thought is that since the legs are not square, taper only the outer surface of each leg. How about a gradual taper from just below the skirt/apron to the floor....outer side only ending with the leg being square at the bottom? THe taper would lead the eye up the leg to the table top and the leg would not look as heavy.

I am not sure of a 45 degree chamfer on the bottom as it may look lost.

Good luck!

Terredax

Banned
My opinion...

I would add a bead around the bottom of the apron and down the sides of the legs to soften the hard edges. This can be accomplished with either a pointed beading bit or half round bead trim.
The legs shouldn't have a taper, as they add weight to the top with the large apron. A simple bead can soften the edges, as well as add a touch of elegance to an already nice table.

Dale Allen

Charlie, I had originally considered a long taper but that would involve an angle cut on the mortise and tenon cross pieces that I was just not sure I could do well. But then now that I think of it, you are talking about a taper toward the inside so the inside surface would remain the same as it is. I'm thinking about it again!:redface:

Dale Allen

John, I plan to give everything a 1/8" roundover. The top pieces are already done. I wanted to wait until I had everything cut and fit before doing that. Good eye though.

Dale Allen

Well, I determined that just about anything done to the leg that far down would likely be lost if the table sites on carpet. Doing 8 cuts on a rectangle does not look good to me or I am not doing it right.
I decided on a shallow miter cut as seen on the left.

Thanks all for your input.

I'll post here later when it is done.

Attachments

• feet.jpg
    feet.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 109
Top Bottom