From funnel to bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TattooedTurner

I was able to save the maple bowl I turned into a funnel last weekend. I glued on a walnut blank and went to work. In hindsight I probably should have just finished shaping the bowl and not made a large base, but considering the newr disaster it became, I'm happy with it. This is the fourth bowl I've made, and definitelt the thinnest, I experienced some serious chatter on the final cuts. Sorry for my terrible photography.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Thanks guys. Truthfully I would've been happier with a smaller base, but for my fourth bowl I'm ok with it. I learned a lot turning this one and will hopefully get better as I gain experience.

MDWine

Another step in the journey. We can get so many lessons from an endeavor like this... what we like, what we don't like, how to better and so on.

I think you did well, not only in the learning department, but the turning!

Well done!!

Thanks Len, and I agree. I should've gone with my gut instinct and made the base a fraction of the size, but I cut the side too thin to get a safe hold in my cole jaws. I do appreciate the negative feedback on the base, it confirms what I was worried about all along.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Don't sweat it!!!

Yup a smaller base would have been nice, but what you made is still mighty fine. The lessons and thoughts for the future are very valuable.

Nice job!

Last edited:

Charlie_W

That is one spectacular piece of maple! Looks like you have a clean glue joint with the Walnut and nice grain orientation on the Walnut. The whole piece is sanded and finished well!

I too agree that the base is out of proportion with the bowl.
An excellent lesson in shape and form.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement! I used to be an avid chess player, and I learned far more from my mistakes than from winning, such is the case here. I will certainly make another from maple & walnut, and lessons learned will result in a nicer bowl.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement! I used to be an avid chess player, and I learned far more from my mistakes than from winning, such is the case here. I will certainly make another from maple & walnut, and lessons learned will result in a nicer bowl.

There are no mistakes in wood turning ..... only re-design opportunities. :biggrin:

SteveAxelrod

First and foremost, it's what you think of your work that counts most. I like the final shape and the workmanship looks first class. The maple is beautiful, but I'm guessing you didn't have anything else on hand when you added the walnut. If you had waited until you had a piece of wood that better complemented the maple you may have liked the end result more. The spalted tamarind I glued onto the split piece of rosewood to finish this stopper is a good example. A reasonably good match but not perfect.

Last thought, why not part off the large base and leave whatever bottom you think would be better? Mount a face plate on the bottom if you're afraid your walls are too thin to use your cole jaws.

Attachments

• Bottle Stopper (F2).jpg
    Bottle Stopper (F2).jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
First and foremost, it's what you think of your work that counts most. I like the final shape and the workmanship looks first class. The maple is beautiful, but I'm guessing you didn't have anything else on hand when you added the walnut. If you had waited until you had a piece of wood that better complemented the maple you may have liked the end result more. The spalted tamarind I glued onto the split piece of rosewood to finish this stopper is a good example. A reasonably good match but not perfect.

Last thought, why not part off the large base and leave whatever bottom you think would be better? Mount a face plate on the bottom if you're afraid your walls are too thin to use your cole jaws.

All I have besides walnut are purpleheart, padauk, & red cedar, so it was the best match from my current stock. I hadn't thought of attaching it from the bottom, and that would definitely work. I think I'm going to leave it as a reminder though - if the thought of attaching it to a faceplate doesn't eat away at me. That's a good idea, thanks.

Top Bottom