Fractal Burnt Pendants

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charlie_W

Charlie_W

I found these pendants I had done earlier this year...added finish and buffed.
They are Cherry, Maple and Walnut. The burning worked fine on these without showing through.

Attachments

• IMG_5569.jpg
    IMG_5569.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 348
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eharri446

I was in my local Woodcraft store yesterday, and they were discussing something that was just put out by the American Association of Woodworkers who had announced that they would no longer allow any demonstrations of the fractal wood burning techniques after someone supposedly electrocuted themselves while trying to apply the technique.

I do not have anymore information about this other than what I posted.

Charlie_W

I was in my local Woodcraft store yesterday, and they were discussing something that was just put out by the American Association of Woodworkers who had announced that they would no longer allow any demonstrations of the fractal wood burning techniques after someone supposedly electrocuted themselves while trying to apply the technique.

Correct. A gentleman in Washington state did die while doing some Fractal Burning with a microwave transformer. I don't know if it was from a lack of knowledge of the process, unsafe procedures or purely an accident.

Yes, the AAW has issued a policy statement regarding Fractal Burning and does not endorse the practice, will not have demonstrations at their symposia, or publish in the Journal. They also strongly encourage AAW chapters to follow their policy. They may have an article warning of the hazards of this process in a future issue.

eharri446

Thanks for elaborating on this. I did not have all of the particulars, just that they had made the announcement.

Having worked in the electronic field during the military, I know how easy it is to get shocked when working with electricity, especially when water is involved.

Charlie_W

I just received my copy of the August AAW Journal and on pages 5-6 the AAW Safety Committee states and explains the policy in depth. It is very well written and a good informative read.

Mr Vic

Additionally the insurance purchased through AAW providers will not cover damage or injuries that result from Fractal Burning.

BeeAMaker

Correct. A gentleman in Washington state did die while doing some Fractal Burning with a microwave transformer. I don't know if it was from a lack of knowledge of the process, unsafe procedures or purely an accident.

Yes, the AAW has issued a policy statement regarding Fractal Burning and does not endorse the practice, will not have demonstrations at their symposia, or publish in the Journal. They also strongly encourage AAW chapters to follow their policy. They may have an article warning of the hazards of this process in a future issue.

The man held onto the probes so he could move them around and inject the electricity in different spots - not a good Idea, even wearing heavy leather gloves.

We here at the MakerHive have done several Lichtenberg figures. However we do it a bit more safety. We make our connections first, everyone then stands at least 10 feet back while someone turns on the breaker to the circuit. No one is allowed to touch anything until the breaker is off.

ec.jpg

eharri446

He would have probably been okay, if he was wearing rubber soled shoes, and had held the probes with his hand in heavy rubber gloves.

Charlie_W

The man held onto the probes so he could move them around and inject the electricity in different spots - not a good Idea, even wearing heavy leather gloves.

We here at the MakerHive have done several Lichtenberg figures. However we do it a bit more safety. We make our connections first, everyone then stands at least 10 feet back while someone turns on the breaker to the circuit. No one is allowed to touch anything until the breaker is off.

ec.jpg

Glenn, Myself and other "burners" have discussed this and have come to the conclusion that a standard switch or breaker is not failsafe....especially when more than one person is working on the burning.
We feel that one option is the foot switch that must be held down to energize or even two foot switches in series can eliminate an accidental power on scenario.
Another similar method is two hand switches(could be the foot switches operated by hands) so there is no chance of touching anything hot during burning by the operator.
Also, make sure your transformer has NO open hot connections. Mounting the transformer in a box(tool box for example) is a big help.

I will not use a microwave transformer for burning. If I want deeper burn lines, I will use a pyrography pen or soldering iron. A micro torch can be of use in some cases.

I have seen a demonstrator spray solution on the workpiece bare handed from a spray bottle while the power is on and the piece is burning......too scary!

Work smart...work safe.

Top Bottom