FOCSITPU Salt Cellar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from triw51

triw51

FOCSTPU (Found on curb side in trash pick up) Salt Cellar. While my daughter drove me to airport last year after I visited her family in Orange Fla., I saw this burl on top of some cut up wood waiting to be picked up and hauled off. I had her turn around and went back and picked it up and put it in my suitcase already full of splatted sycamore.

Well after a year of setting around and me trying to figure what I would do with it, how I would chuck it up etc. It is about 5.5 inches in diam.

I think the wood is oak burl and had a nice earthy smell as I turn it. The top is the foot of a wine glass I cut off when making wooden stems for the glasses. (note: Easy to cut a wine glass stem is to use an angle grinder with a thin metal cutting blade, just start the cut and the foot separates clean and easy). The nob is from a piece of wood given me by a friend not sure what it is but I included a piece in the picture.

The inside I finished with 4 layers of CA and the out side is hand rubbed orange oil/wax mixture.

Question after I finished my wife commented that the white spots on the bark are distracting. I think the white spots are moss that was on the wood so left it on. Do you think it distracts from the piece?

C&C and questions are welcome

Attachments

• celler1.jpg
    celler1.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 311
  • celler2.jpg
    celler2.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 247
  • celler3.jpg
    celler3.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 250
  • celler4.jpg
    celler4.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 317
  • celler5.jpg
    celler5.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 350
  • celler6.jpg
    celler6.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 332
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

That was a great find! Beautiful job!
Creative using the wine glass foot too!
If you send it to me, your wife won't see the white spots anymore!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Nice score - I'd have turned around for that too.
Beautiful job - I always admire your work.
I think the white spots give it character.

SDB777

Definitely a 'oak'...nice find too!
I really nice that you kept some of the 'rough' on the outside instead of tuning it all off...I could go either way on the 'white spots', but I think it was best to keep them.

Scott (big acronym happening there) B

OZturner

Great Find and Application, William.
Superb use of a Glass Base.
I very much liken the "Lichen", it is a natural part of the Timber, and is very unique.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Lucky2

Personally, I do find the white to be a bit distracting, and I would have done whatever I could have to remove it without ruining the burl. The old dental picks would be out, and maybe even the little detail sanders I have for the dremel would help. As for the glass bottom being used as a top, I think is pure genius. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Len

SteveG

When you leave a natural edge or surface on a turned piece, you are letting that part of the wood "speak" for itself. So do not now find yourself guilty of stifling the free speech of this wonderful burl!

Very nice work on this nice find from the trash pile. I guess you are letting the wine glass speak also? :wink::eek:

Top Bottom