Fly Rod Grip

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rovercat

Status
Not open for further replies.

rovercat

The Grip is Podarosa Pine Bark, Walnut and a little trim ring with two layers of birch bark. I think I eill do a pen out of the bark.

200712743118_grips%20017%20Large%20Web%20view.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rovercat

sptfr43
I found some nice thick bark from a tree that had been cut down-I was out picking Huckleberries-.
First I cut the bark into 1 1/2 inch strips. Next the outer rough bark was trimmed of in my band saw. Then the inner layer where the bugs had been was trimmed off. The strips were then cut to 1 1/2 in squares and most came out to about 1/2 in thick. Drilled a 3/8 center hole in each square covered a 3/8 threaded rod with plumbers Teflon tape and glued the sections together including the Walnut. Turned the grip on my lathe while still on the rod. With a very sharp skew the light sections of bark come off very nice and clean. The dark area comes off as very fine dust. If you use this stuff take perceptions due to the dust.
This grip is for a customer in Florida.

ozmandus
I had . A couple of years ago. He does very nice work. I have done the checker board designs and the rest of his work is Awesome

rovercat

Papabear
The grip is not made from a kit. I make all my grips from scratch I guess you would call it. I know of no available kits. They are easy to do though. Most I turn on a pen mandrel.

BigRob777
The dark is the layers of bark as is the light.
I am getting ready to do a pen out of the scraps I have left from the grip. I will include a photo of a piece of bark.
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom