Flameworked Marble Topped Stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

Some friends requested flame worked borosilicate glass marbles and they also wanted bottle stoppers; so I decided to combine them, figuring that the glass swirls would harmonize with the resin swirls and wood grain.

Day one was spent with a friend's oxy-propane torch at 2000-2500 degrees Fahrenheit - dydimium goggles - clear and colored borosilicate glass rods. It's about glass, heat, gravity, and constant (slow) turning - see my earlier post on this forum:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f45/flame-worked-marbles-commissioned-140456/
And Youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJy23-bHNkY
Marbles are annealed overnight at 1080 degrees Fahrenheit to avoid cracking/temperature shock.

Day two was spent in the shop - steps:
Tap and then turn bocote, olive wood, curly maple, on CSUSA ring mandrel.
Bore out the end with a Forstner bit and round carbide tool to make a "nest" for the marble.
Dry sand, then wet sand up to 2400 grit, then clean with alcohol.
Brush on some Alumi UV resin.
Set a rotisserie motor on it's back with a dowel to support the work.
UV expose the rotating work with a 48 watt UV LED nail curing lamp x 15 min (wear UV glasses, plenty of ventilation).
Set the work on a sunny (UV drenched) window sill x 2-3 hours for some extra hardening (unnecessary with a higher wattage UV flood lamp - likely to be my next purchase).
Rough up and groove the bottom of the marble with diamond bits, epoxy it into the "nest".
Screw in the stainless steel "business" end:

attachment.php

attachment.php

The resin versions are stock CSUSA blanks (and I'm PR casting my own blanks over the next few weeks since demand is rising).

attachment.php

This sextet of stoppers quickly found happy homes.

Fun little project in the chill of winter.

Happy Thursday to all - Bob

Attachments

• FlameworkedMarbleToppedStoppers,process1,markison,2019,1200px.jpg
    FlameworkedMarbleToppedStoppers,process1,markison,2019,1200px.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 652
  • HandmadeFlameworkedMarbleToppedBottleStoppers,Closeups,markison,2019,1200px.jpg
    HandmadeFlameworkedMarbleToppedBottleStoppers,Closeups,markison,2019,1200px.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 573
  • FlameworkedMarbleToppedBottleStoppersx6,markison,2019,1200px.jpg
    FlameworkedMarbleToppedBottleStoppersx6,markison,2019,1200px.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 595
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Bob,

Those stoppers are really eye-stopping !!!

Thanks for posting your processes in such detail ... so interesting ... !!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Bob, your creativity and artistry is wonderful to witness. (I've heard/read about people like you :biggrin:).

These look really cool and I bet you had fun making them. They turned out beautiful.

I'll keep you in mind as my wife thinks I'm well on my way to "loosing my marbles."

Truly, thanks for sharing as well as the references, nice to follow the path.

Very nice and very interesting concept. I've never thought of using marbles for anything other than, I don't know, marbles. I'm not a big acrylic fan but these came out very nice.
I did see on our news the other night that CA is getting slammed with rain. I hope you all are safe and not in any danger. My in-laws said they got 12" of snow in Redding.

Bob in SF

Many thanks Mal, Mark, Tom, Bobby, Russ, Herb, Robert, and Charlie!

These were fun to make, and I have a few more twists and turns in the works (stay tuned).

Warm regards to all!

Gratefully - Bob

magpens

Bob, you can be sure I will stay attuned to your posts, as I have been since you caught my attention when you first joined IAP !!!

One question, though ... what's the point of making marbles ? ... can't you just buy them ? They are quite cheap.

Come to think of it, why do any of us make pens ? ... you can get them free at any insurance agency or dental office !!!!!!!

Sorry ... my kids keep asking me that last question so it is constantly on my mind !

But I know full well why I make pens ... seems that this activity appeals to the latent "artist" inside me.

Probably the same with you and marbles !! ... and the other great things you make !

Bob in SF

Mal - Thanks!

"...what's the point of making marbles ?..."

Surprisingly similar to pen making - lathes turn and torches burn - controlled entropy with a dash of danger in service to making a unique object.

Blowing and flameworking glass is hypnotically engaging - like turning pens - constant motion in a focused creative quest.

I was blessed to meet Louis Armstrong (aka "Pops") in New York in the 1960's when I was cutting my teeth as a jazz musician. We were discussing the nature of improvised music and art in general. He was remarkably kind, insightful, and generous when I asked him what it took to be a jazz musician -
His words:
"Breathe, dream, and share it...make your instrument vanish so you can tell a pretty story once and never again".

Happy Sunday to you and all makers who enjoy filling life with fresh stories.

Gratefully - Bob

Top Bottom