First try at a table lamp

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bobostro61

Bobostro61

One of my favorite wood turners on You Tube (Stephen Ogle) made a lamp like this out of Walnut. Thought I give it a shot. I pretty much copied his design (since I liked it so much) but used Ambrosia Maple instead. I've had two Ambrosia Maple blanks sitting here drying since the beginning of October of last year. They finally stopped losing weight over the past two weeks. Much happier with the results of this over the lidded box I posted the other day ( but I'm liking it more and more now). The lamp is still in the works. I have it sanded to 600 and it has two coats of Tung Oil on it. Wax finish will go on tomorrow and the hardware will be installed.

Attachments

• IMG_2578.jpg
    IMG_2578.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_2579.jpg
    IMG_2579.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_2580.jpg
    IMG_2580.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 264
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Bob.

Shape and form is something I struggle with for larger turnings. This looks very nice! I also like the initial finishing with the tung oil - it really brought out the subtle shading of the timber.

wob50

Look great one more thing to add to the bucket list
What type of shade you are going to used??
A thin leather shade would look nice!!!!!

D.Oliver

That's some beautiful wood. Can't wait to see it all completed. You know I remember seeing a video of guy who turned a lamp shade on his lathe. Turned it very thin so the light would shine through it. To test the thickness he would turn off the lights and move a flashlight around on the inside of the shade. He could then see how uniform his thickness was.

JimB

That's some beautiful wood. Can't wait to see it all completed. You know I remember seeing a video of guy who turned a lamp shade on his lathe. Turned it very thin so the light would shine through it. To test the thickness he would turn off the lights and move a flashlight around on the inside of the shade. He could then see how uniform his thickness was.

In the local turning club here there are a few guys that turn lamp shades you can see light through. I don't know how they turn it so thin. They also turn other hallow forms thin enough to see light through it. We are lucky to have such talented people in our local club.

Top Bottom