First Shaving Brush

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from armyturner

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyturner

Here is my first attempt at a shaving brush. It is 2 tone Asian Rosewood with 3 coats of Deft gloss.

200741531054_shaving%20brush.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gmcnut

Jeremy,

That's a fine looking shaving brush. Is it for yourself or for a gift? Is it a kit from CSUSA?

armyturner

Mark,

I am not sure what I will do with it. I think that I will put it out at a show to guage intrest. The brush is not a kit. I ordered the brush head from Anthony (aka PenWorks). I have had the piece of wood for some time.

Check out this link for the brushes: http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17754&SearchTerms=shaving. I can't say enough about the brush head. It is much larger and fuller that I ever imagined.

That looks wonderful Jeremy,

I think I will PM Anthony and see if there are a few in my future!

Can you tell me what sized diameter blank you would consider a minimum for turning a brush this size?

[:D]

armyturner

Jim,

I used the large 30mm head for this one. I think that the blank was 2" or maybe a little larger. I tend to use blanks that are a little larger than necessary due to my inexperience and propensity to mess things up from time to time.

Firefyter-emt

Little tip, you may want to find a neat coffee cup and pick up a block of saving soap to put right along with it. The soap is dirt cheap and even around here Wal-Mart sells it. For less than $2.00 you now have a "set" ready to go. The right coffee cup to put the soap in would really bring the set alive. [;)]

Mikey

Pipes, Anthony at Penworks sells them. I have one of the oversized 28mm heads and the thing is huge. I think I'll be ordering more, but probably the smaller ones.

Jeremy, that is beautiful. I sure hope the wood was stabilized before you made that as the water can get into the wood if it wasn't stabilized first. (anthony warns about this)

PenWorks

Good lookin brush Jeremy, I really like sapwood mixed in it.
I think you should use this one. [:)] Treat yourself, nothing like enjoying a good shave in the morning, since you probablly have to do it anyways. [:)] Also, if you plan on selliing them, your customers are going to start asking you questions about the feel of it, what soap do you use and on and on. I just change soaps to the Art of Shaving cream. Kind of pricy to begin with, 22.00 for a jar. But in the long run, I bet the jar will last all year. I put less then a buttons worth on a warm damp brush and get a full lather. I went with the lemon scent. If you find a department store that sells the Art of Shaving line, they have free samples to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom