First Pepper Mill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Martin G

Martin G

I've been meaning to do this for a long time. My dad sent me some pepper mill kits years ago. I was finally motivated to do one when my brother asked me if the mechanism in his pepper mill could be fixed. It wasn't the same size as the kits I have so I figured I'd better just make him a new one. This one came out so well that I know I'll be making more of these. I read through a LOT of posts here while I was thinking about it and I appreciate the folks who have posted their experiences. Special thanks go out to Captain Eddie Castelin whose video #172 Pepper Mill Basics was very very helpful.

It's 10 inches tall, cherry, and finished with Tried & True Varnish Oil.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Looks really good, great design and finish.... the fit looks great too.

I personally am not a fan of the standard metal peppermills with the knurl knob on top... partly because I'm a little measurementally challenged and mine never seem to fit right... I do strictly the crush grind with the ceramic grinders... they're a little more forgiving on the dimensions.

I also do the little 4" crank style that PSI, Packardwood and Woodturningz sell... Just finished turning 21 of the little buggers this afternoon... now I need to spend a couple of weeks putting finish on them.

Martin G

Thanks Chuck! I had a little trouble with the length too. I had to shorten the rod by about a quarter of an inch. I may look into the Crushgrind mechanisms but I'll use of the 3 standard kits I have first. I want to do some salt mills too. I've read that the ceramic mechs can do pepper or salt. Another point in favor of the Crushgrind.

kyaggie

Great job on your mill... I love the sleek, smooth design!

I love the CrushGrind mechanisms so I'll throw in another plug for them from a users standpoint... the coarseness adjustment knob is ratcheted and at the bottom of the mechanism so once you find that perfect grind setting it doesn't change during use or when you remove the top to refill the mill.

Have fun with your next mills!

Mike

RKB

Very nice. I love the classic simple design. I'm going to have to give this a whirl. Thanks for sharing.

Rod

Top Bottom