First Bowl and 'Goblet'

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenGoblin

PenGoblin

Over Christmas break my grandfather taught me how to make bowls. The bowl and cup were turned out of pine from and old door, so the wood quality wasn't all to great but it was still great practice. Picture may not be all to great, it's taken from my phone.
d37fe82eff791e65578fce995dc90430.jpg

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StumpyThumb

Those look great!. My first and only bowl attempt blew up on the lathe, so you've got me beat!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

robutacion

The most impressive aspect is the way the wood was glued and off-course the different grain directions you had to work with and that is a lot more difficult than a single piece of wood, you handle that your tool control is good so going bigger shouldn't be a problem however, miniature turnings can often be a lot more delicate and detailed so bigger is not always better.

Respect the lathe's factory turning diameter capacity and weight relationships, most smaller lathes get the main shaft bearings destroyed by too much weight and too many vibrations from out of balance blanks, taking these aspects into consideration when turning bigger pieces will prolong the life of your lathe.

With that said, don't get too scared about it, replacing the bearings is not the end of the world nor a major expense...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Mr Vic

Nice project. I think that might be a great President's Challenge for our AAW Chapter. I'll bet Grandpa is proud.

Top Bottom