First bowl ever and I got questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Nolan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolan

OK this is my first attempt at a bowl, so please go easy on me:D. After I finish cutting the inside of the bowl what is the best way to sand and finish this type of bowl? I think I like the shape so far I just need to finish the inside. I was also going to put a little lip on the inside where the bowl meets the wings. So if I could get your opinions that would be great.

2007422192521_blanks%20035.jpg

2007422192544_blanks%20036.jpg

2007422192712_blanks%20037.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

exoticwo

Nolan,
I would put it back on the lathe and turn that nub off then sand to at least 600 grit. Red Mallee, like other burls have small depressions requiring extra attention when sanding. A good finish cut will go a long way and helping to cut down on sanding. Would like to see the bowl when finished.

Rifleman1776

You choose a very challenging project for your first bowl. If you can chuck from the back, that tenon should be removed. Some more turning with a bowl scraper can smooth up a lot of that. If you don't have a fancy powered, angle head, bowl sander, just hand sanding at low speed should do. Don't start too coarse or you will get deep scratches that will be near impossible to remove.

jtate

Is there enough material in the base to turn a tenon? If so, do that. Then use a chuck (either a fancy store-bought one or one you create on your lathe - called a jam chuck) to hold the bowl in the head stock. Using a low speed, turn away the nub inside the bowl. Then sand at a low speed too. Low speed is important because, without the support from the tail stock, the bowl can fly off and shatter when it hits the floor or other stuff in your shop. Once you get that nub turned away and the inside all sanded, I'd go ahead and finish the inside with whatever finish you choose. To get rid of the bottom tenon and sand and finish the bottom, use a face plate and make a convex piece from scrap wood that fits nicely inside the bowl. Place your bowl over the convex liece with a piece of leather or fabric between them. Bring us the tail stock and get it as centered as you can. This is often challenging, if you don't still have a little dimple from where you turned it in the first place. Once it's centered, turn away the tenon, shape your foot, sand and finish. You'll the center of the foot by hand when it's off the lathe, to get rid of the nub left from the tail stock holding it in place.

Dario

Nolan,

I have to agree, a super difficult one for a first and you did really well! [:0]

Re: the lip, Ron (Ron in drums PA) actually commented on one I posted a few months back and I think it applies to you. IF you want to make a lip on the top, make it align the walls below the wing too and make it look like a continuation if you look at it sideways. The corners look nicer when sharp sharp.

What chuck are you using?

Re: sanding, re-mount that baby and start cutting the "post". Try to smooth the inside as much as possible with your tool and do the sanding on the lathe. If you can power sand, do it on tghe lathe too but run the lathe at the slowest speed possible. After the inised is done, reverse it using a vacuum chuck or a dough nut chuck or your chuck lined with a rubber for grip (old rubber type mouse pad works) and engage the tailstock (make sure you don't over do the pressure else you might break a hole through). Sand it like you did the inside. The part where the tailstock is engaged can be sanded off the lathe.

BTW, the recess looks much better than a tenon. [;)]

You need more "toys" and a bigger lathe now [}:)]

jtate

Here's an article on the use of a compression chuck:
http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/bowl_bottom.shtml

Given the uneven nature of the sides of your bowl, this may be the way you want to go.

Nolan

Thanks for all the comments. Yes the nub is comming off and as I posted in my first one is that I have to finish the inside of the bowl. I need to finish shaping and also do some finish work to get it smooth. I guess I will try to sand on the lathe as that what I was gonna try.

Dario_ Yes I like the recess much better too that why I tried it. I have a chuck from PSI. I like the jam chuck idea for the outside. And you nailed the carry through thing as that is the look I want. And yes now I need a bigger lathe as this is about as big as I can go.[:(]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom