First attempt at bowls or boxes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RogerGarrett

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerGarrett

Here is some of the spalted maple I tried to sell (with no takers!!!);) a couple weeks back. I decided to attempt a couple of lidded boxes. I've never turned a bowl or a box, so this was an experiment in using tools. It took me longer than I thought it would (at least an hour per box including finishing), but I learned quite a bit.

I cheated on the smaller one by hollowing it out with a forstner bit, but I made up for that by hollowing the larger one with a bowl gouge - in fact with the mini bowl gouge I won a few months back. Great tool.

Measures 2-1/4 wide X 3 tall
2007612134857_Small%20Sp%20Maple%20Box%20resized.jpg

Measures 3 wide X 4-1/2 tall
2007612135116_Sp%20Maple%20Box%202%20resized.jpg

I have so much spalted maple, I have a feeling I will be improving my bowl/box turning. I'm saving the bigger pieces for when I gain more confidence.

Best,
Roger Garrett

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lathemaster

Roger

Looks great. Just got back to turning hollow vessels myself. Nothing
to post yet - still working on my technique. [:)]

In the summer edition of Woodturning Design Magazine there is an article on turning spalted wood and a great article on turning hollow vessels by Lyle Jameieson. In that article he advocates using forstner bits to remove material before turning to limit stress and vibration during the hollowing process.

Any way - congrats on the boxes
Love your work.
Mike

ahoiberg

very nice roger. i also just made my first box. out of a 2x4 [:D]. boxes are real fun to do and you got a few good lookers there. that spalted wood looks great. is it still green at all or did you get to just turn and finish?

clement

Roger,
Both looks great ! Good job for a first attempt. That wood is simply beautiful, I'm really sory that I live so far, otherwise I'll interested with some pieces. [:(]

clem

RogerGarrett

Originally posted by ahoiberg
<br />very nice roger. i also just made my first box. out of a 2x4 [:D]. boxes are real fun to do and you got a few good lookers there. that spalted wood looks great. is it still green at all or did you get to just turn and finish?

Thanks for the kind words guys.

The wood is as dry as can be. I just turned and finished.

Best,
Roger Garrett

Fred

Very nice turnings. At one time I turned more Spalted Maple than anything else. It has it's moments, especially when there are many, many "soft spots" to deal with. Thank goodness for thin CA to fix them so they didn't cup out during sanding.

It looks to me like you are well on your way to turning more of these beauties. Great job! [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom