Finishing Cufflinks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from NewfoundlandLaw

Hey All

I have been working on some wooden cufflinks for fun. While I like using Mylands polish, I have seen hand made cufflinks with a very thick and clear CA style finish. Since I don't use my lathe to make cufflinks, I was wondering how I could still get a glass-like CA finish on such a small item.

I love using my lathe to CA finish pens, but can I apply CA using a paper towel, rag or brush on a cufflink? Any insight would be awesome.

Thanks All!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marcros

I did some with the melamine polish method. I then put them on the buffing wheels and finished with a coat of microcrystalline wax on them.

hokie

I think you might be able to apply medium or thick CA on the cufflinks and spread it out evenly with a toothpick or something. Then place them in a vice-like contraption to hold the cufflinks upright while the CA cures. I'd avoid spraying accelerator while the CA is freshly applied. It cures unevenly when thick and becomes a pain to fix.

bsshog40

I don't know anything about making cufflinks but was just wondering if you might be able to stick the back in a pin vise to hold it enough to do a ca finish.

I don't know anything about making cufflinks but was just wondering if you might be able to stick the back in a pin vise to hold it enough to do a ca finish.

I tried that tonight and while I did get a nice consistent finish, it didn't look right. Made the walnut look like plastic.

I think I'll stick to Aussie Oil

"Pen Turning on the Rock"

Top Bottom