Finger Ring

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from badwin

Status
Not open for further replies.

badwin

After all the talk awhile ago about making wood rings, I decided to try one for my daughter. This was some hardwood flooring scraps given to me so I am not sure of the wood type. I laminated 2 pieces with the grain going opposite directions and then turned the ring with the join in the middle. 5/8 inch center hole and about 3/8 of an inch wide. Not sure of the thickness but it's skinny enough to be kinda scary.
Brian

20074171103_rings1.jpg

200741711027_rings2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Nice looking ring. You did a great job. I've thought about doing that but just haven't brought myself to do it yet. This just might insprire me to try it. [:)]

As a note that you probably know but some people might not know - laminating in opposing directions (usually meaning 90° for each other) is fine on thin material - or thin material to thick.

However don't laminate 3/8 inch and greater to other 3/8 and greater with the grain in opposite directions (right angles to each other). DAMHIKT! [:I] [:eek:)] [B)] I made a microwave cart some years ago with 8 inch oak wheels. The oak wheels were made by laminating two 3/4 inch thick boards in opposing (90°) directions. This is when I learned that "wood moves" with humidity changes, even when epoxied and finished with several coats of finish (urethane). This will happen also with 1/4 in in some cases and with some wood.

badwin

Jim
Sorry about the late reply. No mandrel but kind of a home made jam chuck. I drilled out the diameter of the middle hole on the ring wood. Then between centers I turned an old pine pen blank into a cone shape. Pushed the ring hole onto the blank until it fit snug on the cone and then turned it.
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom