FINALLY!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ahoiberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahoiberg

tonight, i successfully turned my first bowl... third time's a charm i guess because the first couple attempts made me never want to try one again... but i got a good feeling from this piece of spalted oak that mannie generously sent me recently (thanks mannie!) so, here it is MM to 12000 and a few coats of salad bowl finish. it's got a bunch of cool worm holes in it, i decided not to fill them, thought it added to the rustic feel of the piece. it's about 4 inches in diameter and 2.5 or so inches tall.

oakbest.jpg

the bottom:

oak1.jpg

and a stopper i did a while back that i finally shot a pic of:

flamestopper.jpg

thanks for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Andrew, these are very nice. Don't let them get you down... just go away and come back in a bit and tell the wood that it is fighting a losing battle as it IS going to become a great bowl. I have a 4"x8" chunk of Purpleheart that I have fought several lengthy battles with. Right now it is in my trash can to teach it a lesson. Maybe tomorrow I will go out and "save" it from a fate worse than becoming a bowl. Right now it has been threatened with becoming firewood and I'm sure it is scared to death. We shall see who wins! [}:)]

MarkHix

I like bowl Andrew. It is like everything else....practice practice practice. I look at my first bowls from time to time and amazed at the difference now (just like my pens). I have a box full of "disasters" that I can't bring myself to get rid off. Someday I will cut them up and make a segmented bowl out of parts...should be fun. Keep turning and keep sending pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom