A Few Turnings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cypressslough

Status
Not open for further replies.

cypressslough

Hey guys, I've been lurking for awhile and absorbing as much info from this site as I can. I have to say this site is awesome. I've gained a tremendous amount of knowledge from you guys. I have just started turning a few pens, but I've been turning for about 13 years. I thought I would show a few of the things I turn. Hope you enjoy them. Thanks, Brian.

acrylic001.jpg

Clear and Copper Acrylic Predator Calls

SpaltedPecan1-2.jpg

Spalted Pecan

SpaltedPecan52.jpg

Spalted Pecan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ahoiberg

brian, those pred. calls are absolutely beautiful. did you turn the copper part as well? and the vase and bowl are very nice as well.. i'm sure pen turning will come pretty easily to you... welcome aboard!

cypressslough

The brass bands are cut from brass tubing. They are pressed onto a tenon turned on the blank. Then the acrylic blank and brass band are turned together. This keeps everything matched. The dots in the bands are machined in after they are turned. I used a collet indexer on my drill press and a ball end mill to machine them in.

Brian.

clement

Beautyful! I like the vase and bowl, very nice wood and good shaping. What do you use as finish ?
Oh! what kind of wood is Pecan, unknow in my country.
good turnings,

clem

byounghusband

Clement,
Pecan is wonderful. The nuts are widely used for cooking of all kinds. The wood is great for smoking meats and the wood, well you see in Btyans pictures, is beautiful. Go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pecan for info on this tree.

As a side note, My bosses neighbor lost a 100' pecan tree in a windstorm near Dallas last month. It was the largest tree that went down in that storm. I get the various burl pieces. The trunk of this tree is so big, two grown men can not grasp hands around the trunk. I just wish I had the storage room for all the 24"+ diameter limbs for lumber in a year or two....

clement

Originally posted by byounghusband
<br />Clement,
Pecan is wonderful. The nuts are widely used for cooking of all kinds. The wood is great for smoking meats and the wood, well you see in Btyans pictures, is beautiful. Go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pecan for info on this tree.
Bob,
Thanks for the info, I've seen it's a typical american species.
As what you tell about the tree by your bosses neighbour, I imagine the bowl that could turned in such a trunk [:p]

clem

Woodnknots

<br />Clement,

As a side note, My bosses neighbor lost a 100' pecan tree in a windstorm near Dallas last month. It was the largest tree that went down in that storm. I get the various burl pieces. The trunk of this tree is so big, two grown men can not grasp hands around the trunk. I just wish I had the storage room for all the 24"+ diameter limbs for lumber in a year or two....

Woodnknots

<br />Clement,

That sounds like a milling tree!!! think of the lumber you could get from that tree!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom