Few things from today.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SDB777

SDB777

Pulled the trigger on a new chuck....went with the Nova Titan 2 and the extra set of 4" serrated jaws. Also decided that making bigger bowls is going to require a way of finishing the 'tenon'...so I picked up a 1-1/4"x8tpi tap(going to make my own mount for clamping bowls).

And I will also be getting a 1/2" Fingernail Bowl gouge from D-Way Tool! Happy Day!!!

My mess!

And did everything but finish the 'tenon' area on a piece of {Celtis reticulata}, Netleaf Hackberry.

Here is the blank mounted:

Tenon cut, re-mounted in the 'old chuck', and flipped around:

Inside sanded:

Another look:

Scott (more coming....to be continued) B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

That brings me to todays turning fun. I roughed out two pieces of {Liquidambar styraciflua}, American Sweetgum.

I cut the 'tenons' for the 4" chuck, so I didn't get to rough out the inside of the bowls. Turned one from the 'pith' side, and the other from the 'bark' side(even though I removed the bark).

Nasty piece of timber no#1:

The other nasty piece of timber no#2:

The roughed out timber no#1:

The roughed out timber no#2:

I have no idea when the 'stuff I ordered' will arrive, but I am ready to make more 'mess'! Hollowing, that should be fun....hopefully the newer tool will make it enjoyable?!?!?

Thanks for looking...more to follow!

Scott (awesome curlies everywhere) B

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have the same lathe! ENJOY.... Its a monster.

Shoot, those "nasty" timbers look really nice to me! If you are tired of them...

Have fun with the bowls. I love pens, but I had a short attention span as a kid... has not gotten better lately, so different projects suit me fine!

The bowl banks look great.

Dan Masshardt

That lathe goes on sale for a great price sometimes. It seems like the speed range options may be kind of limited though. Any thoughts? This lathe seems like the most cost effective way to get a large capacity for bowls.

plantman

Pulled the trigger on a new chuck....went with the Nova Titan 2 and the extra set of 4" serrated jaws. Also decided that making bigger bowls is going to require a way of finishing the 'tenon'...so I picked up a 1-1/4"x8tpi tap(going to make my own mount for clamping bowls).

And I will also be getting a 1/2" Fingernail Bowl gouge from D-Way Tool! Happy Day!!!

My mess!

And did everything but finish the 'tenon' area on a piece of {Celtis reticulata}, Netleaf Hackberry.

Inside sanded:

Another look:

Scott; Did you happen to notice the alien hiding in the bottom of your bowl ?? Nice bowls, unique woods, flawless turning. Jim S

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That lathe goes on sale for a great price sometimes. It seems like the speed range options may be kind of limited though. Any thoughts? This lathe seems like the most cost effective way to get a large capacity for bowls.

I love this lathe - Yup, bought on 40% off at woodcraft.

robutacion

Hi Scott,

I have also that model lathe, it has been a great work horse but I hate the belt changes, I may endup buying the DVR head one day and keep this one as a spare...!

I also think that, you could safe a lot of the hard work of the head bearing if you would cut those corner off or better, round in on the bandsaw. The jar from making it round like that, is pretty bad for the bearings , the tools you use, particularly if they are carbide tipped tools, most of the broken inserts I've seen are caused by that exact type of work, it is also pretty bad for your hands wrists, you may be a young fellow now but, you will find out how much jar you get when one day, when the wrists hurt from the kick/jar of the tool...!

The right accessories for turning (any kind of turning) do make the job a lot easier and quicker...!

Cheers
George

SDB777

Can you get a set of "Cole jaws" for that chuck? I use them on my Nova 3000 (same size as your lathe but it pre-dates your version slightly). For bowls the size you showed, the Cole jaws are an easy way to clean up the tenon on the bottom of bowls.

Something like these (for Nova's brand of chucks):

Buy Nova Cole Jaw Set at Woodcraft.com

I have some Cole Jaws, but they won't 'stretch out' this far...I'll just make a set with the tap coming in.

This one was one of those that was on sale recently, $500 off sure made it pretty easy to click the 'buy' button.

My mess!

Inside sanded:

Another look:

Scott; Did you happen to notice the alien hiding in the bottom of your bowl ?? Nice bowls, unique woods, flawless turning. Jim S

Lost me, I don't see any aliens? Maybe I need another beer....keyword here, 'another'.

Thanks everyone, sort of fun making 'curlies'!

Scott (Ramboo is on TV) B

plantman

Can you get a set of "Cole jaws" for that chuck? I use them on my Nova 3000 (same size as your lathe but it pre-dates your version slightly). For bowls the size you showed, the Cole jaws are an easy way to clean up the tenon on the bottom of bowls.

Something like these (for Nova's brand of chucks):

Buy Nova Cole Jaw Set at Woodcraft.com

I have some Cole Jaws, but they won't 'stretch out' this far...I'll just make a set with the tap coming in.

This one was one of those that was on sale recently, $500 off sure made it pretty easy to click the 'buy' button.

My mess!

Inside sanded:

Another look:

Lost me, I don't see any aliens? Maybe I need another beer....keyword here, 'another'.

Thanks everyone, sort of fun making 'curlies'!

Scott (Ramboo is on TV) B

Last photo. :eek: Bottom of the bowl being the round head. Two large eye staring at you. No mouth, aliens don't eat food. And the very narrow neck at the bottom. If you nor anyone else sees this, it may be I who needs the beer. You could use all those curls on the floor to cast scrap wood blanks. Jm S

SDB777

Cast 'scrap wood' with curlies that big would probably use a lot of bowl blanks...as the curlies are quite large. I do wish there was somewhere to use all those curlies? Seems two green Sweetgum bowls and a smaller 10" Hackberry bowl yields over 45gal(stuffed and packed into trash bags)! And the Sweetgum blanks are not 'hollowed'!!!

The chuck is due to arrive in three days....more curlies!!

Scott (I see a smilie face) B

Top Bottom