Felt like doing some forging

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from triw51

triw51

I made a hollowing tool this today took about 4 to 5 hours with drilling and tapping for the carbide tip. Started with a leaf spring 2 1/2" wide 3/8" thick and drew it to 1" wide then forged the narrow rod approx. 3/8" square and formed the tool. I saw one similar to this so though I would make my own.

Attachments

• tool2.jpg
    tool2.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 195
  • tool5.jpg
    tool5.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 197
  • tool6.jpg
    tool6.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 204
  • tool8.jpg
    tool8.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 205
  • tool1.jpg
    tool1.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 210
  • tool3.jpg
    tool3.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 211
  • tool4.jpg
    tool4.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 249
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

snyiper

How do you keep the bit from turning while cutting? I know when I made mine for the square bits I had a recess that locked it into position.

ironman123

William, looks good. Going from 2" down to 3/8" took a while. Tell me about that little furnace, that looks interesting also.

triw51

William, looks good. Going from 2" down to 3/8" took a while. Tell me about that little furnace, that looks interesting also.

Ray:
Going to 3/4" wasn't to bad as I have a little giant power hammer, but it is still time consuming. I think If I was to make another one I would start with 1" stock and only forge out the point, or bend 1/2" square stock.
It is a home made forced air furnace that a friend of mine and I made. It is lined with KOA wool and is what I use to forge weld Damascus steel with. I am tempted to make a Damascus scraper some day just so I can say I did it. I also forged a spindle roughing gouge but the pictures did not come out, I will post some pictures of the finished product in the next few days.
Thanks William

low_48

Couple things; did you keep it soft, or did you harden it after forging? Too hard, and it will snap. I also think that carbide is too large of diameter. I only use 3/16 high speed steel, or 6mm carbide cutters. You get bigger than that, and it is just too tough to control. Just my experience, so good luck.

triw51

Couple things; did you keep it soft, or did you harden it after forging? Too hard, and it will snap. I also think that carbide is too large of diameter. I only use 3/16 high speed steel, or 6mm carbide cutters. You get bigger than that, and it is just too tough to control. Just my experience, so good luck.

I did not harden the tool after forging, but did not anneal it either.
As for the size of the cutter I think you are right about that. I tried it today and it did not work as smoothly as I though.
I fashioned the tool after a photograph of a similar tool and a video I watched of someone using this type of tool. I will try a smaller cutter and see if I get a smoother cut. Thank you for the insight. William

Top Bottom