Expiriment: cast pendant

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dan Masshardt

Dan Masshardt

Be never cast anything in my life / this is the first attempt. My son found a walnut in the yard, so I sanded a piece down flat.

I picked up a little round soap mold cheap, poured some PR in and put the walnut piece in.

When it hardened overnight, the bottom and sides got this cracked look to them. I'm sure somebody can tel me why. :)
The inside and top were fine and smooth.

My wife said that she thought the cracked look is kinda cool so I left it on the back. Turned and polished the sides and front.

In the pics, it looks almost like the walnut is sitting on top of the pendant. :)

Kind of a fun little project.

Attachments

• image-3148684428.jpg
    image-3148684428.jpg
    707.4 KB · Views: 205
  • image-3074129099.jpg
    image-3074129099.jpg
    768 KB · Views: 217
  • image-710435998.jpg
    image-710435998.jpg
    698.1 KB · Views: 172
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

I think the cracks, aren't cracks at all. When PR cures, it shrinks, and pulls away from the mold. But it's still tacky on the outside of the blank, and some PR sticks to the mold. From what you said, you didn't polish that side of the pendant. If you did, I think it would be clear.

But I'm with your wife in that it looks cool with the "cracks".

Dan Masshardt

I think the cracks, aren't cracks at all. When PR cures, it shrinks, and pulls away from the mold. But it's still tacky on the outside of the blank, and some PR sticks to the mold. From what you said, you didn't polish that side of the pendant. If you did, I think it would be clear. But I'm with your wife in that it looks cool with the "cracks".
thanks

Yeah, they aren't cracks just like crinkled. They turn out just fine The sides has the same effect but I smoothed them out on the lathe

Marko50

I'm really liking that Dan! The optical illusion of the walnut sitting on top must be created by the "cracks" on the back side? Very cool.

turncrazy43

Dan, now your going to have to find more items to put in that mold. I see a whole new item for you to sell. Nice going. The blind squirrel found and acorn, LOL.

CrimsonKeel

dan its an even deeper hole climb back out while you still can.
Very nice pendant also. I have been pouring my excess resin into a mold for pendants and have a few sitting around waiting to be used

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I agree with all above.

It looks like you "wanted" it that way... For Artsy, Fartsy reasons.

It is a very nice look.

C & C: More Walnuts, strategically placed, other pendants with misc "stuff" .. ya gotta a nice product!

I was at a nice art fair last weekend - this looked much nicer than a lot of stuff that was selling! (No nice pens... Bought a lamp for the house. And a leather handbag for "Wifey's" Birthday (she picked it out... I have NO taste for fashion). :at-wits-end:

Top Bottom