Entertainment Unit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jaywood1207

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaywood1207

Made this for a coworker. Been a long time since I did some cabinet work but I think it turned out okay. Made of red oak and is about 6' tall and 3' wide and weighs a million pounds especially half way up my steps from the basement.:D

Thanks for looking.

200741912751_EntUnit1Small.jpg

200741912813_EntUnit2Small.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

Very nice Jamie. Looks really good from here. We have a lot of Oak stuff. I like working with it, stains well and looks super when it's done right. Like yours.

alamocdc

Looks like a very well built cabinet, Jamie. I just have one comment. It may actually look quite different in natural light (i.e. no camera flash), but the tonation of the door panels (some of the boards in the glue-up are quite a bit lighter than the others) tends to pull my eye away from the beauty of the overall work. I've had store bought panels do this to me, and even had my own glue-ups do this unexpectedly. Short of testing small pieces of each board before hand, I know of no way to prevent this. But like I said, that's a very well crafted cabinet, and I'm sure the new owner will love it![^]

jaywood1207

Thanks for the kind comments.

Billy yes there is a difference in some of the panels but in person they are not as drastic as the picture shows. I agree with you on testing as this one looked fine ahead of time but once stained and finished the difference showed.

Maybe I should keep these dimensions for future use Jim as I actually didn't have a plan to go by. Made it up as I went based on TV, DVD, and satelite dimensions.[:D]

alamocdc

Jamie, I hope you don't think I was being critical. It is a beautiful piece. I was wondering whether or not you stained it, but I couldn't tell. That explains a lot. Much of the white oak I've used will do the same thing when staining. But I discovered that I get a much more stable match when I use a sealer (the kind made for and sold with stains) prior to staining. But you probably already know this so I'm not trying to tell you what you did or didn't do correctly. This is more for those with less woodworking experience so they don't stumble over the same pitfalls that befell me when I was first getting started. [;)]

jaywood1207

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Jamie, I hope you don't think I was being critical. It is a beautiful piece. I was wondering whether or not you stained it, but I couldn't tell. That explains a lot. Much of the white oak I've used will do the same thing when staining. But I discovered that I get a much more stable match when I use a sealer (the kind made for and sold with stains) prior to staining. But you probably already know this so I'm not trying to tell you what you did or didn't do correctly. This is more for those with less woodworking experience so they don't stumble over the same pitfalls that befell me when I was first getting started. [;)]

Not at all Billy. I appreciate the insight. Finishing has never been my strong point and my least favourite thing so I appreciate any learning experiences from others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom