Elm Burr Bowls.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kkwall

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkwall

Hi All,

I received a big old elm burr from my local supplier. The biggest that I have ever had.

There was some worm holes on the outside , so I started to turn it down to get rid of them! Kept turning, and turning, and turning, but still the holes and marking stayed on the turned piece.

2007510104619_DSC00844.jpg

As the Burr was getting ever smaller, I decided to cut my losses, and make a bowl from it anyway. Thought that the holes and markings could be a feature of the bowls made.
Well, I managed to get two bowls out of what was left of the burr, and the markings and holes, give them real character and rustic look.

2007510104842_DSC00855.jpg

2007510104859_DSC00854.jpg

2007510104917_DSC00853.jpg

Both the bowls are very stable and dont suffer from the markings on them. Very pleased with the end result.

I'll see if he has more burrs with worm damage!!;)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobskio2003

I hate to tell you this but I'm pretty sure those aren't worm holes but natural burl inclusions. Many burls have natural inclusions in them and are part of the character of burls. They are not all like the tight burls we see in pen turning (especially burls like thuya, amboyna, afzelia, etc...). I think you'll probably find that whether a burl has those natural inclusions will depend on tree species/variety and even location of where it came from. For example, many cherry burls in my part of the country (Upstate NY) have long inclusion lines and then I just recieved from cherry burl blanks from Mich. that the inclusions are more like pin holes. Either way they all add to the character of the wood. Bob I.

smoky10

Originally posted by clement
<br />I agree with Bob, worm holes are smaller and filled with very fine dust. BTW while turning you can see from time to time a worm that still is alive [xx(],

clem
Yesterday I found several half worms while I was turning a small box elder log. [:D] Very nice bowls, nice wood and good job turning.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I am glad that you posted this! I made a queen size bed 23 years ago with a head board and foot board from this very kind of wood. I asked a dozen knowledgable people then and even posted a picture online on a woodworking forum a few years ago. No one had seen anything like it. Now I know that it is from a huge elm burl. Originally, it looked like your in finished bowls in color; then finished with several coats of urethane, it has the same golden sheen that is evident on the rim of the next to the bottom bowl. The inclusions on the headboard and foot board go all the way through the 1 inch thick wood just like the big inclusion on the bowl second from the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom