Eggs over easy or turned?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fay Prozora

Fay Prozora

I've had this egg on the lathe for the past few days, but it turned out really nice. When I got ready to part it off, some thing hit my tool and then I turned off the lathe and turned it by hand so I can see if there was a problem and come to find out there was a tiny nail in side the wood. Beats me how it got there but it hit my tool and the tool is fine. I ended up taking it off the lathe and using my big yellow saw ( DeWalt 788) to cut it off the waste wood and then gave it a good sanding with the drill press. Put a finish on it and it turned out pretty nice,, I'd say well done! There is a ring around the small end of the egg but that is where the nail or what ever it is, is inside the wood so I could not do any thing about that but I'm proud of it being that I'm still new to turning. My pen press came yesterday and later this week I have more pen kits and blanks coming... Enjoy the egg! Fay

Attachments

• Turned egg-1 (640x480).jpg
    Turned egg-1 (640x480).jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 214
  • Turned egg-2 (640x480).jpg
    Turned egg-2 (640x480).jpg
    282 KB · Views: 178
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

You are not sure what it is, but know it is foreign material that is metal. Sometimes bullets (hunters, target shooting, or??) are found embedded in lumber, and are a real surprise because there are no signs to indicate the presence of metal, and the woodworker is using new, not recycled, lumber. Could that be what you encountered?

BTW, I am enjoying the egg. Looks like it got tired by the time you took the second pic. :wink::rolleyes:

randyrls

Nice looking egg Fay!

Addendum: Band sawyers often use a metal detector before cutting into a log with an expensive bandsaw blade. This is mandatory if using recycled lumber.

Top Bottom