a double pen box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cloven

Cloven

A couple weeks ago I made the two Diablo pens out of Zebra wood for my inlaws anniversary. I wanted to make them a pen box too, but didn't have time, so I just purchased one from William Wood-Write. I still wanted to do the idea I had for it, so I went ahead and made it anyways.
The body is walnut, with the lighter ring being Oak and the darker ring being Mahogany. The idea was that they are wedding bands intertwined to make something that's supposed to look like the infinity symbol. I also chiseled mortices out to have the hinges be mostly hidden; on the last single pen box they were just on the outside. I used the CNC machine to do most everything; cut the profile out of a single block of walnut, scoop out the insides, cut the inlay hole and rings to fill them. I gave it a finish of Lacquer, which is going to need a bit of a polish. I also need to whip up a little fabric something on the inside for the pens to lay on, then I'll do a light box photo and add to this thread.
Where the rings cross, they do not overlap in any way. There is a small void that the other ring passes through.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cloven

Last picture. I got the little elastic put in so the pens inside are held down.
Again the weight of the lid does a good job keeping it down, so I don't think I'll do a latch or anything. It's kinda more meant for a desk or table instead of carrying on your person.

Top Bottom