Don't you hate it when this happens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob Wemm

Bob Wemm

I almost choked myself last night with the smoke that came out of this little exercise.
Raku fired pottery in a rubbish bin full of newspaper.
However, the surprise this morning was worth it. IMHO, even SWMBO is very happy with the results.
There are 4 different glazes used, one each for the inside and outside of the two pieces.
One of the glazes I hadn't used before so was a bit unsure how the result would be.
Hopefully they will be well received at our September exhibition, along with all the pens and bowls etc.
Hope you like them.
As usual C&C welcome.

Bob.

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 204
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 266
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 200
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 249
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 207
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turncrazy43

Bob, that's really nice. You always come up with something interesting and very well done.

southernclay

That's awesome Bob, I'm a former potter and loved raku, really gives you instant gratification....or at least instant for the ceramics world :biggrin:

Nice work, I imagine it will be very well received.

Bob Wemm

Thanks Guys,
It is a lot of fun making all different type of items. Wood is definitely my favourite though.
Glass and Pottery have an element of surprise, which makes those two somewhat interesting.

Cheers,
Bob.

lwalper

Interesting. I thought it would need to be hotter than that, and for a longer period of time?? I don't know anything about it, but it just seems that I've seen raku kilns that are white hot that get fired for days??

robutacion

I almost choked myself last night with the smoke that came out of this little exercise.
Raku fired pottery in a rubbish bin full of newspaper.
However, the surprise this morning was worth it. IMHO, even SWMBO is very happy with the results.
There are 4 different glazes used, one each for the inside and outside of the two pieces.
One of the glazes I hadn't used before so was a bit unsure how the result would be.
Hopefully they will be well received at our September exhibition, along with all the pens and bowls etc.
Hope you like them.
As usual C&C welcome.

Bob.

Hi Bob,

No wonder why you keep going back to pottery and glass work, you come up with some beauties, huh...???

I don't think that, they will last long at the display @ the September exhibition...! well done. :wink:

Cheers
George

Bob Wemm

Interesting. I thought it would need to be hotter than that, and for a longer period of time?? I don't know anything about it, but it just seems that I've seen raku kilns that are white hot that get fired for days??

A normal Stoneware or porcelain pottery firing goes up to 1300C and is white hot, and takes days to go through the process.
Raku is normally a rapid fire up to about 1000C, then a rapid cool down. Some potters dunk the piece directly from the kiln to a bucket of water or sawdust, or some other means. This requires a very coarse clay to withstand the thermal shock. I've seen a piece come out of the kiln and placed on sand, then immediately covered with sawdust and doused with petrol (NOT RECOMMENDED) but the result was stunning.

Bob.:)

Top Bottom