Do They Match?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveAxelrod

SteveAxelrod

I've made several razor and razor stand sets and would like to make razor brushes to match but there aren't any matching blanks that are made in a suitably larger size. So I decided to try making my own and I know it's going to be a challenge matching the blanks of the pros.

Attached is my first attempt - a three color casting for the brush hanlde. I think it's a reasonably close match but I'm not sure it's close enough to satisfy customers. I'd like some "expert" opinions please!

Attachments

• Earth's Core Shaving Set (FF+) (2326 x 3188).jpg
    Earth's Core Shaving Set (FF+) (2326 x 3188).jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 246
  • Casting Earth's Core Shaving Brush Handle.jpg
    Casting Earth's Core Shaving Brush Handle.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DJBPenmaker

They wouldn't be a close enough match for me, as a customer. Maybe you'll have to cast all your own matching sets in the future. In isolation, what you have produced is fabulous.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

exoticwo

Steve, To me the brush looks a bit darker then the other 2 but that being said, the razor and stand have what looks like white showing on one side of them and the brush does not that along with the dark background so... for me, it's hard to compare.

RobS

I think it depends on the customer. No 2 blanks are identical, so as long as it is clear that they look like they are in the same family you will be fine. You may have to pour another set, turn it, and then mix and match to insure they have the look that is consistent.

Great work.

Where is the bowl???? (Haha, just jibing you)

SteveAxelrod

One third of the resin was Interference Gold Pearlex which I think is a pretty good match for the light color in the Rhino Earth's Core blanks. I'm not sure if that resin got poured closer to the center or got mixed/absorbed by the other two dark colors. Since this is all new to me I'll continue to experiment, but in the meantime Ed Brown with Exotic Blanks mentioned that there is a matching Rhino bottle stopper blank and I think I'm going that route for a sure match. Thanks for everyone's comments!

Top Bottom