Desert Ironwood hunter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MikeL

MikeL

Still spending more time on knives than pens but enjoy the process of both.
This is a desert ironwood handled hunter with hunter orange G10 liner. The blade is about 5" shaped out of 1084 using the stock removal method. (I don't forge yet but would like to try it). Hope everyone's 2017 is a great one.

Attachments

• IMG_2337.jpg
    IMG_2337.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 305
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Beautiful knife, I like knives...!:biggrin:

Interesting blade shape, size and thickness, I would think that it would be a very good all around tool, particularly for uses where the blade thickness and weight would assist with the hitting impact of going through something hard.

As for the wood, that is a gorgeous bit of wood, very well shaped and finished, congrats...!:)

PS: Do you have access to that Desert Ironwood?

Cheers
George

MikeL

Thanks for your comments George. The metal is 3/16 thick. It is a sturdy knife good for the things you mention. One thing that might make it appear beefy is it isn't sharpened yet. I sharpen after the sheath is made so the sheath maker (my brother) doesn't cut himself.

I use a few places for the ironwood. I use a couple of places on eBay and also Arizona Ironwood. I don't have direct access to the wood. Wish I did. I love ironwood.

bpgoldo

Mike, your work is strong, clean, professional and compelling. the American craftsman breaths in you and lives in your shop.

alankulwicki7

Beautiful knife, I like knives...!:biggrin:

Interesting blade shape, size and thickness, I would think that it would be a very good all around tool, particularly for uses where the blade thickness and weight would assist with the hitting impact of going through something hard.

As for the wood, that is a gorgeous bit of wood, very well shaped and finished, congrats...!:)

PS: Do you have access to that Desert Ironwood?

Cheers
George

Thanks for your comments George. The metal is 3/16 thick. It is a sturdy knife good for the things you mention. One thing that might make it appear beefy is it isn't sharpened yet. I sharpen after the sheath is made so the sheath maker (my brother) doesn't cut himself.

I use a few places for the ironwood. I use a couple of places on eBay and also Arizona Ironwood. I don't have direct access to the wood. Wish I did. I love ironwood.

I've got some Ironwood in my shop I'd be willing to sell. Not sure what it's worth but PM me if you are interested :):)

Beautiful knife! Wish I could do that!

robutacion

You're welcome...!

Its OK mate, I've though you may have access to some of it, you don't and that is OK.

Cheers
George

Top Bottom